PDA

View Full Version : Difference between Beginner and Old Debian HD Install?

Jack_
05-05-2004, 08:13 PM
Whats the difference between the new "Beginner" and the "Old Debian" HD install methods used by the new knoppix-installer?

SgtRauksauff
05-12-2004, 07:25 PM
I've been wondering that myself, but from what little I've been able to glean from searches on this forum and Google, I think the Knoppix and beginner options still retain some sort of hardware autodetection/configuration during each boot, whereas I think the Debian option will keep all your settings once it's installed.

I could very well be oversimplifying this, but I haven't really run across a good description of the differences myself. Hopefully, some enlightened individual will share his knowledge...

HAH!! I just was browsing around the faq area, and found an article about knoppix-installer that does describe some of the differences:

the link: http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/KnoppixInstaller

the pertinent text:

knoppix type installs and debian/beginner type installs are two quite different things. Debian type installs are very similar to a beginner type except that it runs system_services which changes (removes) the hardware detection system and uses a common command line for the kernel except for a few rescue type commands which carry on to the installed system. A beginner type install retains Knoppix's hardware autodetection and the full command line/cheatcodes.

Types of installation:

* 1 Knoppix (hd swap services boot)
o 1.1 A copy of the liveCD on hard disk
o 1.2 Works exactly as the cd based system does except apt-get can be used to add more software and the system is no longer read-only.
o 1.3 DOES NOT ALLOW MULTIPLE USERS! You are logged in automatically, without a password. NOT a good idea if you are hooked up to a network and mind if your box is cracked and used for illegal purposes. Fine for a dedicated, disconnected desktop system.
o 1.4 Carries kernel command line to new system (i.e. Cheat codes) except for vga, initrd and BOOT_IMAGE
* 2 Debian (hd swap name user userpass rootpass host services boot)
o 2.1 Just carries acpi, noapic, nosmp, pci, pnpbios and noapm forward on the kernel command line
o 2.2 Allows multiple users
o 2.3 Bears the closest resemblance to a "normal" debian installation.
* 3 Beginner Default (hd swap name user userpass rootpass host services boot)
o 3.1 Uses Knoppix Hardware detection
o 3.2 Allows multiple users
o 3.3 Carries kernel command line to new system (i.e. Cheat codes) except for vga, initrd and BOOT_IMAGE

anyway, i hope this helps.

--sarge

c123
05-14-2004, 05:10 PM
Any idea if, after first doing a 'Beginner Default' install, it's possible to chnage this to a 'Debian' install (by e.g. running the system_services script)?

And vice-versa?

tlim
07-04-2004, 12:18 AM
Any idea if, after first doing a 'Beginner Default' install, it's possible to chnage this to a 'Debian' install (by e.g. running the system_services script)?

And vice-versa?

I think you can do that manually by opening up /etc/init.d/knoppix-hd-autoconfig and change the line SYSTEM_TYPE="beginner" to SYSTEM_TYPE="debian".

j.drake
07-04-2004, 06:15 AM
I happened to know about this thread. It might help explain.

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=51808#51808

jd