PDA

View Full Version : hd install 3.4 only root can login into x

darkstar2002
05-05-2004, 11:04 PM
I just did a hd install and chose begginer and when i get to the graphical login i can pick a username and try to login but it just resets x and brings me back to the login. If i login as root i go in wiith out any problems. Any suggestions?????

tonyleake
05-06-2004, 03:52 PM
if you login as root then, in a terminal type

cd /tmp
chmod -R a+rwx .X11-unix
chmod 1777 .X11-unix
chmod 1777 /tmp

It may fix the problem. It did for me when I had similar symptoms (though caused by something different)

mikyt
05-06-2004, 04:18 PM
I just did a hd install and chose begginer and when i get to the graphical login i can pick a username and try to login but it just resets x and brings me back to the login. If i login as root i go in wiith out any problems. Any suggestions?????

I had the same problem. The first time you login with every user you create, you have to select the "Session type", otherwise X won't start the user's session.
You have to do this only once.

darkstar2002
05-06-2004, 06:59 PM
Ready tried all of that. still doesnt work right.

OErjan
05-06-2004, 07:20 PM
do you have caracters other than a, s, d, f, g, h, j, k, l in the password? if so try logging in as root and change the keyboardlayout in X and in the consle.
it might work ok after that.
why it works is that apparently knoppix sometimes defaults to german keyboard. try changing the password to aaaaaaaa (8x a) for the user, that should work even if the keyboardswtch occured (as root) type
passwd username (enter)
newpassword (enter)
the password wont show any *** byt the keys will be entered anyway.

darkstar2002
05-13-2004, 06:01 PM
Does anybody else have any ideas i still can not get any readular users into x just root

user unknown
05-14-2004, 01:06 AM
Did you create these users?

If you created a user foo, is there a directory /home/foo?

Durand Hicks
05-14-2004, 03:51 AM
When you did a hd install, which type did you pick, beginner, knoppix, or debian? I have a feeling you chose knoppix, and if so, that's the problem. The knoppix install is locked, you could add users, but it's difficult. You're better off reinstalling using debian type install.