PDA

View Full Version : Graphics cards - just my luck?

Davidsa
05-05-2004, 11:37 PM
I have just come across Knoppix while looking for a way to recover a damaged hard disk.

But I can't get 3.3 to recognize any of the 3 graphics cards I have available. These are:

Nvidia GeForce 2 (64mb)
Voodoo 3 (12mb I think)
ATI 3D Rage Pro (atir3) (from an old computer)

I get the "No suitable x-server found for your card" with each, after it tries "fbdev" and "vesa".

I understand there are difficulties with Nvidia cards, but the other two are surely common enough, even if old! Is it just my luck that I happen to have 3 which won't work with Knoppix - or am I missing something?

I have tried the "failsafe" cheat code, and putting in the xserver name Knoppix shows on the way through.

Or can someone suggest a common and cheap card which always does run Knoppix? Resolution, optical quality, etc are not issues.

Also am I right in assuming that the message on the login screen about the German keyboard would have been taken care of on a uk-produced copy (*-EN.iso)? The "=" sign seems to work normally.

My system is a 1300 mhz Duron with 512MB Ram

Many thanks for any suggestions/aclarations

David

Stephen
05-06-2004, 12:46 AM
I have just come across Knoppix while looking for a way to recover a damaged hard disk.

But I can't get 3.3 to recognize any of the 3 graphics cards I have available. These are:

Nvidia GeForce 2 (64mb)
Voodoo 3 (12mb I think)
ATI 3D Rage Pro (atir3) (from an old computer)

I get the "No suitable x-server found for your card" with each, after it tries "fbdev" and "vesa".

I understand there are difficulties with Nvidia cards, but the other two are surely common enough, even if old! Is it just my luck that I happen to have 3 which won't work with Knoppix - or am I missing something?

Those cards should work fine I have both a Voodoo3 and the ATI card that you have not sure about the GF2 though never tried one of them but it should work. For the ATI card when you get to the startup screen type in knoppix xmodule=ati xvrefresh=60 then the enter key to tell knoppix to use the ati module and a low refresh rate in case you are using an older monitor you may want to add a screen= on the end for the resolution you want eg. screen=800x600 or screen=1024x768 ... . For the nvidia card use xmodule=nv in the line, the Voodoo3 use xmodule=tdfx. Some other cheat codes (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/CheatCodes) you may want to look at.

Also am I right in assuming that the message on the login screen about the German keyboard would have been taken care of on a uk-produced copy (*-EN.iso)? The "=" sign seems to work normally.

My system is a 1300 mhz Duron with 512MB Ram

Many thanks for any suggestions/aclarations

David

Yes when the iso has the -EN in the name it should be an English version. BTW you do not need an X server to rescue a disk you can do it at the command line.

Davidsa
05-12-2004, 11:29 AM
Stephen:-

Thanks for your suggestons all of which I tried, as well as trying the CD on another computer.

But it seems I had a bad copy of version 3.3. I have now got a CD of version 4.4 and it works just fine, without putting anything in at the prompt.

These things simply happen now and again!

Thanks anyway

David

Davidsa
05-12-2004, 04:52 PM
Sorry - I mean 3.4 of course.

David