PDA

View Full Version : Booting Knoppix 3.1 from cd to backup files from WinXP

viagrus47
05-06-2004, 04:09 AM
I'm very new to any distro of linux. I got Knoppix 3.1 from a friend and have used it to try to get used to this distro. I;m trying to back up a few files but can't seem to configure "X cd-roast" correctly to burn files...in fact i can't find a way to pick the files i want to burn. The windows File System is NTFS. Please let me know if i should D/L a newer version of Knoppix. Thanks and of course if more info is needed i'll give it but please be as specific as possible as i am a complete newb to anything and everything Linux...i do however plan to change that. Thank you.

ktheking
05-07-2004, 08:25 PM
Congratulation and welcome to linux...
Were it is about controling stuff yourself and understanding (or trying) what you are doiing.
First , download a more recent version of knoppix.
Preferabely version 3.4.
This version contain captive driver in order to mount ntfs in read/write.
Then you should have at least 1 cdrom and 1 cd-writer .
Then just click on the icon in the menu to mount your first partition.
Then just click on the KDB3 burning software icon . (if this gives problems start it as root or sudo).
If you feel not strong enough to do this then first read the linux basics or ask a friend to give you a demo.

viagrus47
05-08-2004, 04:13 AM
thank you for the info...just as an update to what i should've added in the first thread. It's a laptop that (obviously) has only 1 cd writer/dvd-rom. The windows installation is corrupted or something. I've been trying to backup files that must be saved. If i were to put the ailing laptop on a network with a DSL connection and boot it off the cd will Knoppix realize there is an internet connection that i can use? And would other windows computers be able to see it on the network? I know i'm asking alot of questions but Linux is a deep and vast ocean to me, i have however tamed the foul seas of windows (yes we hate Microsoft as much as anyone else). Thank you again and i'm working on downloading 3.4.