PDA

View Full Version : turning up the volume

stedy
05-06-2004, 09:03 AM
i just got my sound card to work (yamaha opl-sax2) but i have to turn up full volume to hear the sound from the speaker...anyone have this problem? any idea how to solve it?

Thanks

mzilikazi
05-06-2004, 10:53 PM
I used to have one of those in a Toshiba laptop. It worked just fine under Linux. Mebbe this helps:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6579&highlight=

stedy
05-07-2004, 01:47 AM
thanks for your reply mzilikazi...but my question is...when i got the opl3sax2 to work...i cant tune the volume...somehow i have to put my speaker in full blast to hear the sound..any more help?

nishtya
05-07-2004, 01:59 AM
am assuming ALSA here. Suggest in command line: alsamixergui. Turn up master and pcm. And whatever you do, I mean it, don't have the volume cranked on the speakers or heaven forbid headphones on if you unmute or turn up the volume on input, IEC958. You might get an air-raid siren that will definitely cause damage. Perhaps sound gurus can explain but that is a NASTY. Had neighbors awoken when I was messing with ASLA config at like 2 in the morning. I thought it was the smoke alarm even though I was sitting right at computer

mzilikazi
05-07-2004, 04:59 AM
thanks for your reply mzilikazi...but my question is...when i got the opl3sax2 to work...i cant tune the volume...somehow i have to put my speaker in full blast to hear the sound..any more help?

The opl3-* is an odd card and from all accounts I've read it needs all (most?) of its parameters set correctly, i.e. dma, irq, etc. before it will work properly. Hopefully you're lucky and it's just a mixer setting.

Which driver are you using? There are at least 2 that I know of that work.

stedy
05-07-2004, 05:15 AM
i didnt know which driver im using (sorry newbie to knoppix :oops: )
i just type "modprobe opl3sa2" in the terminal then log out n log in again..got sound
but i can't figure out with volume control.

nishtya: asla i dont understand their step to step guide...need a more to newbie type of guide :)

mzillikazi: what two driver that you are using? can you share?

nishtya
05-07-2004, 02:40 PM
stedy, I am a little too noob myself and looking for an easier guide on ALSA too :wink: In the course of trying to solve my user has no sound/root does I did come across a lot on the forums about ALSA muting user by design to start off and the need to turn up master and PCM with alsa's mixer (which should come up if you go to console and type in alsamixergui). One has to take care with one of the channels labeled IEC98 (it's an input). The sound it can make if you inadvertently slide it up is unbelievable - I guess it's feedback. So I worried about you with your speakers cranked on full and messing about in that mixer. On some post I read in I think it was a developer's forum someone did remark that that was the reason user is muted to start off. Perhaps someone experienced with sound like Cuddles could give further info about it.

Anyway, I have my alsa and volumes making nice now and hoping they stay that way. In my case my card itself was too common for it to be a driver problem.