PDA

View Full Version : knx-hdinstall stops

u.jochum
03-03-2003, 08:47 AM
I am already using Mandrake Linux 8.2, works fine. Now I wanted to use Knoppix to migrate from Mandrake to Debian, installing Knoppix on HD by using the knx-hdinstall skript. Now when I

sudo /usr/local/bin/knx-hdinstall

the script starts, but after a short while the process stops, giving me no other choice than strg-alt-backspace to shut down Knoppix.

To solve the problem I copied another version of knx-hdinstall from the net, but that doesn't work either. So it is obviously NOT the script that doesn't work. (I should add that on running Knoppix all my devices are detected correctly, no error messages...)

Is this trouble caused by the fact that I have no FREE diskspace when I start knx-hdinstall? I had the idea to run knx-hdinstall and THEN use cfdisk to delete my Mandrake partitions and replace them with new and empty partitions. Or should I simply try another Knoppix cd (I am currently using the Knoppix-c't-version that was published two weeks ago in the German c't magazine)?

Any other sugegstions?

u.jochum
03-03-2003, 09:09 AM
I forgot to say that the knx-hd-install screen isn't even displayed! And I have to add that there is ONE ERROR MESSAGE (or something like an error message) displayed when I run knoppix: knoppix wants me to give rows and columns for the screen, but when I ignore that request knoppix starts without a problem. So is my trouble caused by a problem in my video setup?

RockMumbles
03-03-2003, 07:14 PM
You need to make sure that everything works BEFORE you do a hd install, if console mode won't work you'll probably end up in trouble later on. Try starting up with " knoppix vga=normal " (plus any other necessary boot parameters) then you should see the hardware detection etc. Make sure your video is working as it should, in console mode and in X and everything else is working, sound, networking, etc. Then try the hd install. If this doesn't work post back. Make sure to include any error messages.

HTH

rock

Lawrence
03-04-2003, 01:07 AM
And after everything is working fine using the CD, just hit <Ctrl><ALT>F1 to get to a root
prompt and run "knx-hdinstall" from there...

Good luck.

Lawrence

u.jochum
03-04-2003, 08:31 AM
Dear Rock,

the problem is that Knoppix IS WORKING FINE on my machine, but, despite this, the knoppix-hd-install-script hangs... The only error message I get when booting the system is something like "you passed an undefined mode number"; nevertheless, hitting the ENTER key starts a fine working Knoppix environment. Yesterday evening I tried all the pre-defined mode numbers for the video settings (there are 0-7 mode numbers), but knx-hdinstall hangs with all available modes.

Now I have a rather stupid -- or not so stupid -- idea. My machine has only 64 MB of memory. This is good enough to have a normal Knoppix system running on the machine (despite the fact that the documentation says you should have at least something like 90 MB or so). So my assumption is this: Knoppix works with 64 MB memory, but hd-install needs more memory...

RockMumbles
03-04-2003, 08:46 AM
Do you have a swap partition being used when you install? If not you might want to try with a swap partition.

You also might want to try to run the knx-hdinstall script from a console after starting with ' knoppix 2 vga=normal ' so you don't run X then memory shouldn't be a problem doing the install.

rock

u.jochum
03-04-2003, 09:01 AM
Dear Rock,

since I have a Linux Mandrake system (there is no Windows on my machine) I HAVE a Linux swap partition, of course! The only solution I see is to follow your advice and try the hd-install without running the X windows system. I'll try it this evening. Thanks for your suggestions!

u.jochum
03-05-2003, 08:39 AM
Dear Rock,

IT WORKS! Thanks a lot!

For those who may run into the same trouble, here the problem again:

You may have a machine with less memory than recommended to run Knoppix in graphics mode (less than 96 MB). You may find that everything works fine, despite the fact that you have, say, only 64 MB of memory; i.e. Knoppix boots and runs without any trouble, and it does so in graphics mode. And now you may want to install Knoppix on your harddisk, but knx-hdinstall hangs. This happens because the install-script needs at least 96 MB of memory or so, perhaps even more. In this case just do this:

When booting from CD-ROM enter into your boot screen this:

knoppix 2 vga=normal

Your machine will boot into non-graphics mode. When the prompt is shown on your screen just enter the normal command to run the knx-hdinstall-script, usually:

sudo /usr/local/bin/knx-hdinstall

The script will start and lead you through the download of Knoppix onto your harddisk.