PDA

View Full Version : How to create boot floppies for 3.4?

fredrikj
05-06-2004, 01:24 PM
I notice that the routines for creating boot floppies have changed from 3.3 to 3.4. I found a note stating that it should be easier now, but not how to actually create the floppies for knoppix 3.4.

How do I do that? I have access to both windows and linux, but am interested in how to create floppies from both systems.

Thank you in advance! / f =)

softwaretester
05-06-2004, 05:17 PM
Smart boot manager is handy'er to have than a bunch of floppies dedicated thier respective CD.

pau1knopp
05-06-2004, 07:24 PM
Smart boot manager is handy'er to have than a bunch of floppies dedicated thier respective CD.

Any suggestions to the original posters request? I also need a boot floppy disk, not a partition manager.

fredrikj
05-06-2004, 08:46 PM

Been there, done that. Didn't work. =)

The thing is that sbm does not work on my obscure laptop (Supra 5026, a p166 from the stonage). I tried various boot managers in general, either they do not recognise the cd or do not load at all.

As mentioned, I read somewhere (cant find it again though) that the move to isolinux in 3.4 was partially to make it possible to have two boot floppies (for 2.6 kernels). So, I really do believe that there is some way to create those floppies. The question remains. How?

SolarCat
05-07-2004, 03:59 AM
I would like to know this as well. I tried a boot disk from 3.3, and while that will boot Knoppix it leaves a list of errors and unrecognized hardware in its wake. (Most noticeable is my internet connection.) There must be some way to make a floppy, but I remain mystified. Any help would be appreciated...

Fabianx
05-07-2004, 11:32 PM
Hi,

answered in:

http://knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10227&sid=20f0ac87ccc394e624cf7fab6774f0bf

please discuss the solution there.

cu

Fabian

PS: Closed to avoid duplicates.