PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix Remastered DVD ISO!!!! Download it here <--------

crazybro
05-06-2004, 02:01 PM
Hi all

I've just stumbled across this ftp server which has remastered versions of knoppix 3.4 there are two flavours the CDR 700MB version for the people without dvd burners and the DVD version (2.1GB) of knoppix 3.4 which i am downloading atm. I'm not sure of the default language as i am still downloading it but I'm pretty sure you will be able to use a cheat code :)

the site is:
ftp://ftp.tu-chemnitz.de/pub/linux/knoppix-remastered/

its pretty good cuz i get a maxed out connection 55- 50kb using Internet Download manager

Just thought ill let people know :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

first of all i have downloaded the DVD version and made the dvd disc (Not very hard since its an iso) and booted up, well here's where you start the default language is German (i think) so when the first boot screen comes type: knoppix lang=us (Note that the keys are also arranged differently so instead of using the +/= button u have to use the 9 button along with shift)

ok that sorted it boots up into knoppix all fine AND in English

i have to say it has MANY more apps and utilities than the cd ver of knoppix 3.3

well i hope ppl with DVD burners download this its worth it :)

cRaZy bRo

softwaretester
05-10-2004, 11:45 AM
Ok.. I downloaded this too.

It's the Cebit version.
Doesn't have the handy menu item for the NTFS captive write support.

Seems to run great once you do the lang=us (= is SHIFT 0 ) on the german keyboard.

I kinda expected 'more' on it.
Running off a dvd is faster and queter than a cdrom.

Zeromancer
05-13-2004, 06:44 PM
Is there another link for the dvd iso other than that one? That ftp link isn't working for me.

baldyeti
05-13-2004, 09:25 PM
The link above is broken and should read ftp://ftp.tu-chemnitz.de/pub/linux/knoppix-remastered/

Zeromancer
05-17-2004, 07:23 PM
Thank you so very much for the link baldyeti

Bernd Blaauw
05-19-2004, 11:11 PM
so it's an older Knoppix..

ofcourse one can always burn the 700MB ISO to a DVD, and thus take advantage of the DVD-readspeeds.

Snow
06-08-2004, 11:56 AM
The link above is broken and should read ftp://ftp.tu-chemnitz.de/pub/linux/knoppix-remastered/

Hi ya.

Downloaded the DVD ISO and it works great. Seems it will also install to HD. Which the original Ce Bit would not.

My question is this. What command is used to install it in English.
Would it be something like:

sudo knoppix-installer/knoppix lang=us

I'd like to install the whole disk to my drive but I need an english install.

baldyeti
06-08-2004, 07:38 PM
Standard disclaimer: I have not tried this myself, but I guess it's more a matter of getting your cheatcodes right when booting off the DVD, then launching the install which will replicate your live environment.

Snow
06-09-2004, 04:12 AM
Standard disclaimer: I have not tried this myself, but I guess it's more a matter of getting your cheatcodes right when booting off the DVD, then launching the install which will replicate your live environment.

Ok so you are saying that if I boot the Knoppix DVD with the US lang code and then do a HD install, it will install the OS in English?

I'll try that.

PROhan
06-10-2004, 06:10 AM
if it doesnt boot in language you can edit /etc/lilo.conf and change the values that say lang=de to lang=us

kleb
06-22-2004, 05:17 PM
I've just downloaded the image twice and got two different md5's for it, both different than the one on the server. What gives? :?:

kingfish600
07-23-2004, 08:25 AM
I got the new dvd but cant get it to boot on startup. My knoppix 3.4 cd works fine but the dvd never loads...I have a 8 speed + and - dvd drive. Any ideas? I think that the bootup may not support dvd boots, I have a old p3 600mhz. I looked for rawrite on the disk but it wasnt present.

lilsirecho
07-23-2004, 11:05 PM
Kingfish:

Perhaps you forgot to select the dvd drive in bios.

My DVD runs great on sony 16x dvdrom and I downloaded and burned it with k3b on a sony DVD rw at 4x.

I have edited isolinux.config on advice from el_supremo to permit the use of ...from26..to perform the boot from hd.

The media is speed sensitive and some readers don't work with the media.

Best of luck.

kingfish600
07-25-2004, 02:03 PM
My bios dosn't have a dvd option just the cd option. Guess i could try to flash it with a update.

Fenix*NBK*
07-30-2004, 02:51 PM
people, in short, in what aspect(s) the DVD version offers more ?

tak
08-19-2005, 09:37 AM
I downloaded the iso and instead of burning it I opened it with VMWARE and started the OS and it ran fine. I typed knoppix lan=en at the boot: screen. After the OS started it was not in english. WHY?

Harry Kuhman
08-19-2005, 05:56 PM
I've just downloaded the image twice and got two different md5's for it, both different than the one on the server. What gives? :?:
It's likely your choice of tools and way of downloading. I used to get about 50% bad downloads when using the mirrors. Since I've started using BitTorrent I haven't had a single bad download (and yes my Knoppix 4.0 DVD came down fine and the md5 sum matched). You can spend a couple minutes learning to use BitTorrent or you can keep trying to get it from the mirrors. Do whichever you think is best.

Harry Kuhman
08-19-2005, 06:03 PM
My bios dosn't have a dvd option just the cd option. Guess i could try to flash it with a update.
Most of the time there will be no mention of DVD in the BIOS, but if you have a DVD drive in the system rather than a CD drive you just set the BIOS to boot from CD first and it still works. Perhaps it would have been better if the BIOS just used the term "optical drive", but then I expect that would have confused some people who call support and ask how to boot from CD. Some BIOS will look at all optical drives on the system to boot, some seem to only boot from the first optical drive, so if you have both a DVD drive and a CD drive you may need to be sure that the DVD drive is seen first.

Of course, if there is a BIOS update for your MB and the update file mentions anything about booting then you certainly might want to flash the bios.

Harry Kuhman
08-19-2005, 06:08 PM
... I typed knoppix lan=en at the boot: screen. After the OS started it was not in english. WHY?
If you didn't make a typo above , the the reason is that you got the cheat code wrong, it's lang, not lan. And did you actually see the = sign, or did you just type the = sign key?

grabau
08-21-2005, 01:44 AM
ftp://ftp.tu-chemnitz.de/.mount/sda1/ftp/knoppix-dvd/

the link above has a 3gb english iso

northbridges
09-23-2005, 03:00 PM
i stumbled across a taiwanese mirror for the 4.0 dvd and the default language is english. i'm currently downloading it at around ~190kbps so i gues it isn't that congested yet. i'ts ftp. i'll let you know how it goes after burning it on a dvd-r. here's the link:

ftp://ftp4.tnc.edu.tw/pub2/KNOPPIX/

kallumama
10-07-2005, 02:25 PM
ftp://ftp.tu-chemnitz.de/.mount/sda1/ftp/knoppix-dvd/

the link above has a 3gb english iso

what files do i need from this for the English version?

Do i only need this file? KNOPPIX_V4.0DVD-2005-08-16-EN.iso

UnderScore
10-07-2005, 04:07 PM
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Downloading_FAQ

kallumama
10-07-2005, 04:12 PM
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Downloading_FAQ

Thanks!