PDA

View Full Version : 2 hard disk installation won't boot to knoppix

bret
03-03-2003, 09:22 AM
I'm hoping someone can help me out here.

I went through the installation script to install knoppix in an extended partition on my 2nd hard drive. I have a 98/XP dual booting system already.

The install appeared to go fine, and when asked to install LILO I picked yes. However, upon reboot, it boots into the 98/XP system and no LILO comes up.

I'm assuming this is because LILO is in the boot partition of my 2nd hard drive, and needs to be on the boot partition of my 1st hard drive for it to kick. But how do I get it there?

My hard drives look like this:

1st disk: 1 primary (fat32), 1 logical (NTFS)
2nd disk: 1 primary (fat32), in extended: 1 linux, 1 linux swap.

THanks

RockMumbles
03-03-2003, 07:29 PM
What are you using for your boot loader now? I assume the XP boot loader on your first drive.

You will need to set up a boot entry in your boot loader that points to the lilo setup on your knoppix install. I can't help you with xp. I think you'll end up not being able to use xp if you put the lilo mbr on your first drive. So what you need to do is set up your xp boot loader to go to the boot partition of your second drive then you should be able to access knoppix on that drive.

HTH

rock

god
03-03-2003, 07:40 PM
actually, If I am thinking straight on this, if you load lilo onto hda, it can see XP... that is what I am doing... You will probably need to edit the lilo file to get it to do so... but hey, thats the fun of linux.