PDA

View Full Version : Getting drivers from Knoppix

mobal
05-06-2004, 02:55 PM
Knoppix finds the correct drivers for my laptop, but RedHat9 can't. Where can I get the drivers from Knoppix (or the cd/image) to use when installing RedHat9? I need the driver for my lcd display (lgp0657) and ati raedon mobility U1. Thanks.

mzilikazi
05-06-2004, 10:47 PM
I won't say that it's impossible but it's highly unlikely that will work. The drivers on Knoppix were built against the kernel it runs. RH couldn't possibly have the same kernel. Why can't you just build your own drivers against the redhat kernel-source?

antskip
05-07-2004, 03:40 AM
I am surprised you had a problem with Redhat and Radeom mobility. On first boot the setup can be wrong, but then you can easily manually choose the correct monitor and the correct video card for everything to work properly. Certainly it can configure these two things better than Knoppix. If you don't choose the correct screen first you will have no luck with the video card settings.

mzilikazi
05-07-2004, 04:55 AM
I am surprised you had a problem with Redhat and Radeom mobility. Certainly it can configure these two things better than Knoppix.

lol...apparently not eh? :roll:

antskip
05-07-2004, 06:12 AM
I have installed Redhat 9 as well as Knoppix on my notebook with UXGA and ATI Radeon 7500. Redhat was actually dead easy to re-configure after initial installation. With Knoppix 3.4 I had to copy the right XFree86 config files from /etc/X11 from a CD-boot - from the ram drive, after using a cheat code. The HD install failed to detect the UXGA screen. As for Redhat, for both the screen and video card choices one uses the Xconfigurator (as for several previous Redhat versions), -there are a a huge variety of options for both screen and card.Knoppix does its best automatically, and like much automated hardware detection, can get it in wrong, just like for Redhat. But Knoppix does not have as able manual configurator, as far as I have experienced it on an identical system. :D

mobal
05-07-2004, 04:04 PM
The laptop I'm using is an HP Pavilion ze4600 with AMD processor, and 15" display. I doubt this is the problem. I've tried different settings and monitors during installation. It finds the right driver for my video card (ATI Radeon U1), but I think I'm not picking the correct monitor from the list. I don't see the LGP0657 listed. I might be missing it (from looking too hard :shock: ). I've been trying different generic monitors. Thanks for all of your help.

You're never too old to stop learning.

antskip
05-07-2004, 11:44 PM
Have you tried selecting "LCD panel" and your resolution, or something similar. I don't have Redhat installed now but I am pretty sure you do not have to find your specific screen make, but rather the portable/LCD panel with your default resoultion.

You could find some inspiration from these reports:
http://tuxmobil.org/hp.html
http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/hp.html