PDA

View Full Version : Booting to knoppix

MindTricks
05-06-2004, 09:30 PM
Not as simple as Tom made it seem. I saw the review on knoppix on toms hardware and downloaded the ISO then burned it. Poped it in my laptop, the title screen showed I pushed enter, it continued to load then it spits out all these "cloop: error -3 uncompressing block ........."
and finaly "INIT: cannot execute "/etc/init.d/xsession" and stops.
Anyone know? :?

mzilikazi
05-06-2004, 10:40 PM
Your cd is no good. Check the md5sum of the .iso before you burn and burn at a slower speed.

MindTricks
05-07-2004, 11:43 PM
There was like 3 ISO's at the downlaod mirror, I am confused of what one to download, I downloaded one of the ones with EN in the descriptions thinking it stands for english.

mzilikazi
05-08-2004, 04:02 AM
You are correct EN does stand for English.
Read this:
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqDownloading

It will explain what an md5sum is and how to check it.

zentu
05-09-2004, 06:53 AM
You want the newest version of the file in the prefered native language you speak (for most users) i.e de=german en=english.
the filename.iso.md5 is the md5sum
the filename.iso.md5.asc is the PGP/GPG key for Klaus Knopper so that he 'signs' that it is from him no some script kiddie that says that it is him.

Note: you can save some time (if in a rush, but not really reccommended) by downloading the Torrent since BitTorrent is using MD5sums for verification of the transfered information, but you may still want to check.

P.s. If you are really paranoid, then get the md5sum (for the exact same file name) from another trusted server, because they should match since Klause made them both.