PDA

View Full Version : Several issues (and wishes) with Knoppix 3.4

kuser123
05-06-2004, 11:39 PM
Screen Resolution:
-----------------
- The maximum Screen Resolution is set to 1024x768, but my monitor is able to display 1280x1024. Is this a bug?

Mouse:
------

When moving the mouse slowly the cursor doesn't move. I have an optical PS/2 Mouse and I have observed the same problem on other PCs with optical mice. The source of this problem is the wrong set Resolution-Option in X11. For the following configuration works very well:

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse1"
Driver "mouse"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "Resolution" "500"
EndSection

I think this problem is grave, because working with the original setting is very irritating.

KDE-Settings:
-------------
- When move and resize windows, the content should be visible!

Desktop:
--------
- The symbol placement at startup is suboptimal, when the number of symbols is too high to fit in one column. Symbols get stacked which is confusing.
- The naming of the device symbols on the desktop could be better. For IDE-Devices my idea would be to use ide_info and fdisk and rename the device symbols as follows (in German):
Old Name New Name
CD-ROM [cdrom] LITE-ON DVD+RW
(DVD+RW Brenner)

CD-ROM TOSHIBA DVD-ROM
[cdrom1] (DVD Lesegerät)

Hard Disk Festplatte Maxtor
Partition [hda1] hda1: NTFS (3.0GB)

Hard Disk Festplatte Maxtor
Partition [hda10] hda10: Linux (51.5GB)

etc.

KDE-Menu:
----------
- The exmplanations in the rounded paranthesis are often featureless. Examples:
pstree (pstree) -> Which DAU knows what this is?
AleVT (AleVT) -> Which DAU knows what this is?

configure_bttv:
--------------
- The list of the TV-Cards SHOULD be alphabetically sorted! Otherwise everyone has to search like an ass for his card.
- After the channel scan xawtv should show one of the found channels and not snow or black against the white. An idea would be to show the first found channel.
- It would be great if the setup program could automatically detect the TV-Card (maybe with "lspci -v").
- It would be great (but this is not so important) if there would be a an option to choose the local TV provider. The time of scanning coudl be dramatically reduced because the supplied channels would be known to the scan program. DScaler does it this way (a great open source program for Win).

Mount/Unmount:
----------------
- When I open a ZIP-File with konqueror on a mounted partition and close it afterwards, unmounting of this partition is not possible because a kio_tar process is still running which seems to lock this mount:
3935 ? S 0:00 kdeinit: kio_tar zip /ramdisk/var/tmp/ksocket-knoppix/klauncheraPX

When I try to check with fuser which process forbids unmounting I get no information about it!! This is a grave problem because the user has to guess which process villain. A better solution would be welcome and important.
- Mounting with and without write permissions is confusing for DAUs. A better way would be an other implementation of the "Mount Drive" menu entry in the context menu:
"Mount Drive without write support"
"Mount Drive with write support"
Icons should be added to these two menu entries for a better visibility for DAUs.

xine:
----
- With the default setup xine shows only blue contents in the window when playing videos (NVidia-Card). For me xshm works fine.

Maybe this helps...

antskip
05-07-2004, 03:36 AM
I had same problem with a HD install with a UXGA screen. The solution was to do a CD session, and choose your resolution at startup, let the cd session boot, and then if this session runs with the desired resolution, copy the XF86Config and XF86Config-4 files from the ram disk of your successful CD-install to somewhere safe. Then reboot using your HD install and replace the two HD-install files mentioned with the CD-ones. On reboot the right resolution comes up. Worked for me. (I am sure this is not the quickest way!)