PDA

View Full Version : faulty shutdown for 3.4

antskip
05-07-2004, 06:19 AM
The new 3.4, unlike 3.3 and earlier, does not shutdown properly on my system, either from CD or HD install, for both new and old kernel.
I have read elsewhere on thsi forum that replacing KDM with GDM might would help. But it didn't. Logging out does not work, nor using the command line. Knoppix seems to unload itslef, but the system is left running. It is the same for shutdown and reboot. The only option left is to hard shutdown the computer.

Durand Hicks
05-07-2004, 03:19 PM
Have you tried the command:
halt from a console window? That should tell knoppix, or any *nix system to basically shutdown everything.

OErjan
05-07-2004, 06:36 PM
there might be a apm or acpid issue.
if they are not running some motherboards wont know to shutdown properly, they are waiting for the powerbutton. powerdown is displayed at bottom of screen

antskip
05-07-2004, 11:41 PM
Halt (in various permutation) does not work, nor is a powerdown text appear. I think it just says "Knoppix is halted". Blank screen.

Fabianx
05-07-2004, 11:52 PM
The new 3.4, unlike 3.3 and earlier, does not shutdown properly on my system, either from CD or HD install, for both new and old kernel.
I have read elsewhere on thsi forum that replacing KDM with GDM might would help. But it didn't. Logging out does not work, nor using the command line. Knoppix seems to unload itslef, but the system is left running. It is the same for shutdown and reboot. The only option left is to hard shutdown the computer.

Thats no hdinstall problem *grr* ;-).

Solution:

knoppix acpi=off noacpi

You need both for now ...

cu

Fabian

antskip
05-08-2004, 03:50 AM
I have booted from Cd with your "cheat" knoppix=acpi=off noacpi. And yes, that fixed it- for the first time it shutdown properly. Fantastic! Now how do I modify the HD install to do just that?

On HD install, typing in from root: "acpi=off noacpi" leads to response: "noacpi: no command recognized (or similar)". There is a response to "acpi=of" and "acpi=on", but with no effect on shutdown problem, as you indicated would happen. Obviously the full command you give needs to be activated for the HD install, as for the successful CD boot. Much appreciate further guidance! :De

spurious
05-08-2004, 10:43 PM
I have booted from Cd with your "cheat" knoppix=acpi=off noacpi. And yes, that fixed it- for the first time it shutdown properly. Fantastic! Now how do I modify the HD install to do just that?

Try adding append="acpi=off noacpi" to /etc/lilo.conf (obviously, if there is already an append line there, add the acpi stuff to the existing list), then execute lilo.

antskip
05-09-2004, 10:15 AM
Thanks. Changes to lilo worked...almost completely. The Knoopix install actually shuts off completely...but still I need to press the hardware shutdown button. But at least the video card etc are still not running when I have to press the stop button. The only real problem is that every other or so boot the boot hangs at the text appearing which reads "loading hardware profile from etc/profiles". Othewise great, thanks! :D