PDA

View Full Version : newbie - xmms mp3

jforbes
03-03-2003, 05:10 PM
Just downloaded 3.1 and can't seem to play mp3 files in xmms. The website describes xmms as an mp3 player, but elsewhere I've read that there are licensing issues for the mp3 decoder.

Has mp3 support been dropped? Can it be manually added?

Loper
03-04-2003, 12:13 AM
<snip>
Just downloaded 3.1 and can't seem to play mp3 files in xmms.
</snip>

Hmmm... the default installation works fine for me -- in fact, I'm listening to streaming MP3s through http://www.shoutcast.com right now. As far as I know, there are no licensing issues with it.

Do the sample OGG files work? Perhaps you have a corrupted CD image or the CD itself has a problem. I'm not sure what else to suggest right now.

jforbes
03-04-2003, 12:26 AM
I got it working. Apparently, I had to start xmms with "artsdsp xmms" instead of the default "xmms". Is this normal?

Stephen
03-04-2003, 08:45 AM
Their is a plugin you can install xmmsarts which allows xmms to work with the aRts sound server so you will be able to run xmms as you normaly would.

jforbes
03-04-2003, 02:32 PM
I'm running from the CD. I suppose this means I'll have to re-master to make the change permanent. Any idea why this is not included in the default build?

jforbes
03-04-2003, 02:33 PM
I'm running from the CD. I suppose this means I'll have to re-master to make the change permanent. Any idea why this is not included in the default build?

Stephen
03-04-2003, 07:56 PM
I think re-mastering for a xmms plugin is a little over the top. If you have that much disk space (5-7gb from what I read) laying around you might as well install to the HD then any changes you make will be saved to disk.

agroz
05-10-2003, 11:35 PM
Their is a plugin you can install xmmsarts which allows xmms to work with the aRts sound server so you will be able to run xmms as you normaly would.

Yes, this works for me too. To make it more or less permanent, call up the KDE menu editor and change the Xmms entry command line to "artsdsp xmms" ; and also the wmxmms entry to the same. This way when you click on a file and Xmms opens it it works properly.

Thanks Stephen, I was really banging my head over this one!

I'd be interested in knowing if there's anyone that this doesn't work for....

Andy :shock: