PDA

View Full Version : No menu.lst

ssc
05-07-2004, 09:01 AM
Hi everyone....
after i had installed the new 3.4 (2004.05.04) Knoppix i want to change the menu.lst of grub, but there is no menu.lst.... only this one :( (but the install is able to boot and works fine)

root@ssc:/home/ssc# locate menu.lst
/usr/share/doc/grub/examples/menu.lst

Does anyone a solution?

Greetz

Sebastian Schoss

baldyeti
05-07-2004, 02:16 PM
I haven't tried installing 3.4 to HD yet, but I guess it still uses lilo as boot loader, not grub... If you need to alter your boot sequence, either edit /etc/lilo.conf and re-run lilo, or install grub and create /boot/grub/menu.lst (eg starting with the example you have located).

SgtRauksauff
05-07-2004, 04:54 PM
I just got done installing 3.4 onto both my laptop and to a server at home.

Grub doesn't install by default, you've still got to edit the ~.knofig (or whatever you named it) configuration file for the knoppix-installer script. On my laptop, (dual boot with winXP on hda1) I ended up booting from floppy, and re-running grub-install because the images were corrupt somehow. it's working for me ok now, though.

On my server at home (an old IBM Netfinity 5000) I also had to re-run the grub-install. for some reason, I think maybe the automatic grub installation done by knoppix-install might be a little wobbly. or, it could just be me, which is probably more the case.

I'd suggest going to yor /boot directory and see if you've got a grub directory in it. if you don't, then you probably don't have grub installed.

if you want to install it to your primary partition (i'm assuming that you've only got one partiton plus a swap partition) just type grub-install /dev/hda and that will do the trick for you. You may still have to make your own menu.lst file, but it shouldn't be too hard.

you can use this as a start: http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#Configuration

--sarge

mzilikazi
05-08-2004, 08:28 AM
Boot into Linux
grub-install /dev/hda
update-grub

voila!

OR if you can't boot your OS

boot Knoppix
mount /dev/hda1
grub-install /dev/hda --root-directory=/mnt/hda1
update-grub

voila!

ssc
05-08-2004, 04:25 PM
I haven't tried installing 3.4 to HD yet, but I guess it still uses lilo as boot loader, not grub... If you need to alter your boot sequence, either edit /etc/lilo.conf and re-run lilo, or install grub and create /boot/grub/menu.lst (eg starting with the example you have located).
oh, yes you are right.... :oops:
sorry for my post, thanks for your post

Greetz

Sebastian Schoss