PDA

View Full Version : Moving desktop icons

eris_pluvia
05-07-2004, 10:06 AM
I have installed 3.3 on HD. When I go into KDE, desktop icons rearrange themselves in one top-left column. How can I change this default behavior? Thanks.

Eris Pluvia

nishtya
05-07-2004, 12:04 PM
There is a hidden folder in user's home, .kde. In there is another folder, autostart and a file, "sorticons". Delete that file (or if you are worried like I was the first couple of installs :) ) rename it. That drove me absolutely batty for a couple of days.

The icons will stop rearranging every login. The desktop will also come up at lot faster (in my case it would "sorticons" for ages on my slower system :? )

eris_pluvia
05-07-2004, 05:13 PM
There is a hidden folder in user's home, .kde. In there is another folder, autostart and a file, "sorticons". Delete that file (or if you are worried like I was the first couple of installs :) ) rename it. That drove me absolutely batty for a couple of days.

The icons will stop rearranging every login. The desktop will also come up at lot faster (in my case it would "sorticons" for ages on my slower system :? )

Oh! Thanks a lot!

Shouldn't this question be on FAQ? I wonder...

nishtya
05-07-2004, 05:36 PM
eris, this was the topic of one of my very first posts, http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=38272&highlight=#38272

No one had responded on this or another forum and loads of googling had brought up nothing. Most of the search results brought up a common bug with KDE of moving the icons randomly or losing them. Judging from screenshots at places like KDE Look, a lot of people just keep them there on the left. I just went poking around the system for days looking for "desktop" or "icons" anything and came upon that "sorticons.desktop" in the autostart folder. I tried renaming and it worked and I never had a problem. Since then I just delete the bugger straight off. but you may want to play safe and rename it.

You may need to become root to delete or rename it - that is the way I always do it and I guess there is a reason for it. I just forget what the reason is :lol:

Fabianx
05-07-2004, 11:54 PM
I have installed 3.3 on HD. When I go into KDE, desktop icons rearrange themselves in one top-left column. How can I change this default behavior? Thanks.

Eris Pluvia

In newer versions this is automatically deleted, but I forgot why I added it ...

cu

Fabian

nishtya
05-08-2004, 02:22 AM
In newer versions this is automatically deleted, but I forgot why I added it ...

OMG, you are getting like me--aww Fabian, you mean you are the reason I nearly bailed all those months ago when I couldn't get my silly icons to stay put and I figured I was the linux luser of all time? :lol:

I am not sure how many distros are using your script! (which is PRICELESS, BTW, priceless) I have had that problem with knoppix, kanotix and morphix too, I believe. I haven't hd-installed anything since kanotix BH5 (Kano still has the sort icons thing, I installed with "knoppix-installer"). And on his distro the sorticons goes on and on and on.... :lol: I always let it run once before I delete it. I had assumed it had something to do with change to hd and thought maybe it was "setting" something to harddrive so let it have its way exactly once after hd install. Then I would nuke it :P