PDA

View Full Version : how can I burn a 3.4 cd when I'm using 3.2 in CD drawer?

od
05-07-2004, 10:09 AM
Hi Folks,

Can anyone help?

I have downloaded knoppix 3.4 using 3.2 and the klik-installed bit-torrent client at work and the BT cient has saved my iso to the ramdisk space - filling it completely. The work's small form factor Dell PC has a cd burner.

I had planned to copy over the iso to the hard drive and burn it using the cd burner on XP. However, NTFS is unsupported under 3.2 - so it didn't let me copy it over to the HD.

I saved my configuration hoping that would also save the downloaded ISO in ramdisk(?) so that later I could burn it under linux.

What are my options? -

Boot from a rescue type floppy, but I won't be able to access Knoppix ramdisk etc?

Boot from damnsmalllinux or other knoppix based distro using "toram' eject the cd and place a blank CD in place?

Copy to HD and risk losing my job for killing our new pc's?

Any advice gratefully received!

od

Cuddles
05-07-2004, 02:32 PM
Od,

Just for some options,

How did you get the v3.2 ? From a friend, or some other way? Can the same process of getting v3.2 be used to also get the v3.4 ?

Scary thought was to make a "small" FAT partition on a hard drive, boot to the CD, move the ISO file to that newly created FAT partition. Only problem is that this does get the ISO file off the ram disk, but still doesn't solve your issue with the CD Burner being used by the boot.

Other thoughts were to add a CDROM device to the system that has the CD Burner, use the CDROM device to boot off of, and then burn the ISO to the now available CD Burner device.

One other thought: Can a small hard drive be added to the system that has the NTFS and CD Burner? If so, you could do a "Poor Mans Install" on that small hard drive, thus freeing up the CD, and be able to boot of the hard drive, so the CD Burner can be used.

Just some thoughts,
Cuddles