PDA

View Full Version : floppyconfig easy on Knoppix 3.3, not so on Knoppix 3.4

lothario
05-07-2004, 10:45 AM
My BIOS does not allow me to set "boot from CDROM".
But I did not need a boot floppy With KNOPPIX 3.3 because it somehow booted from my CDROM.
After what appears like some kind of a timeout, KNOPPIX 3.3 would boot from
the CDROM. So I had to wait for the timeout but I was happy.

Now with Knoppix 3.4 there is no timeout. It just does not boot from the CDROM at all.
The only way to force a CDROM boot was to use the boot.img from 3.3 CD to
create a boot floppy. (Why does 3.4 not contain this boot.img ??)

Now the system boots from the floppy which then invokes the CDROM and KNOPPIX 3.4 starts to bootup.

Ok, I can live with that.

With 3.3 it was possible to do "knoppix floppyconfig"
With 3.4 it is not so simple to do "knoppix floppyconfig" because:
1. The boot floppy is full with all it boot files.
2. So I have to have a second floppy with the floppyconfig data.
3. But then I have to swap the boot floppy with the 2nd floppy when I see the 3.4 "boot:" prompt.
4. This is not easy because the boot prompt itself does not have a long timeout. So if I am late then I have to reboot.

Any suggestions on how I can still do a floppyconfig or something similar without these gymnastics?

I do not have USB ports or hard disks on this computer.

Stephen
05-07-2004, 03:24 PM
My BIOS does not allow me to set "boot from CDROM".
But I did not need a boot floppy With KNOPPIX 3.3 because it somehow booted from my CDROM.
After what appears like some kind of a timeout, KNOPPIX 3.3 would boot from
the CDROM. So I had to wait for the timeout but I was happy.

Now with Knoppix 3.4 there is no timeout. It just does not boot from the CDROM at all.
The only way to force a CDROM boot was to use the boot.img from 3.3 CD to
create a boot floppy. (Why does 3.4 not contain this boot.img ??)

Now the system boots from the floppy which then invokes the CDROM and KNOPPIX 3.4 starts to bootup.

Ok, I can live with that.

With 3.3 it was possible to do "knoppix floppyconfig"
With 3.4 it is not so simple to do "knoppix floppyconfig" because:
1. The boot floppy is full with all it boot files.
2. So I have to have a second floppy with the floppyconfig data.
3. But then I have to swap the boot floppy with the 2nd floppy when I see the 3.4 "boot:" prompt.
4. This is not easy because the boot prompt itself does not have a long timeout. So if I am late then I have to reboot.

Any suggestions on how I can still do a floppyconfig or something similar without these gymnastics?

I do not have USB ports or hard disks on this computer.

Sounds like fun I would hit the F2 key when you get to the opening screen then you have all the time in the world to switch floppies and type in the cheat code.

Durand Hicks
05-07-2004, 04:16 PM
Just a thought:

What if you copied the boot.img file to the hard drive and then used the bootloader manager to boot the cd from the boot.img file? Something along the lines of:
1) copy boot.img to c:\
2) edit the nt boot.ini file and add c:\boot.img="LinuxCD" to the end and save it.
3) insert knoppix cd and reboot
4) boot from hard drive and when the bootloader prompts you, choose LinuxCD and boot to knoppix on cd

Would something like that work? This way you could free up your floppy drive for the floppyconfig cheatcode without switching.

Durand

lothario
05-08-2004, 09:23 AM
As I mentioned, I do not have a hard drive in this PC.
In the meantime, I am using the F2 key.

eco2geek
05-08-2004, 10:41 AM
But then I have to swap the boot floppy with the 2nd floppy when I see the 3.4 "boot:" prompt.

If all you've got on that 2nd floppy is your saved configuration, you've got lots of time after you see the boot prompt and before you have to have it in the drive. Knoppix goes through all its hardware configuration before it accesses it. (Watch the messages on your screen.)