PDA

View Full Version : copying test to production system

knulle
05-07-2004, 02:35 PM
Hi !
Are there any docs or tips to copy a system installed on /dev/hdb3 to /dev/hdb2 with changing all the things necessary ? (It already might be done by some knoppix installation script during the installation.)
The aim:
Copying a stable system from hdb2 to hdb3, updating the system with some components, doing the tests and when the tests are passed copy the stable "test"-system /dev/hdb3 back to "production" /dev/hdb2.

cheers Knut

Cuddles
05-07-2004, 02:56 PM
Not sure if this will help, but a while back, I wanted to do a backup "image" of my system, something that would, in essence, "clone" my system to another device, I got lots of feedback on the topic, and many different ways to accomplish this task. From what I read, this is probably what would work good for what you are doing.

In my case, I wanted to have a "backup" on a seperate drive, complete, and fully bootable, in case my "main" hard drive took a dump, I'd just boot off the "backup" imaged drive, recover with a new drive, and do the same thing again.

Just for thoughts, to help you out, you might do a "Search Knoppix.net" in the box above for "Clone" or "backup", possibly even "image backup" - it might come up with one of my posts, or something that has already been done. [?]

Some of the suggestions were to use a partition backup program to "clone" the partition, and some others were "copy file" scripts. If it has already been done, it should show up in a search, it just comes down to having the "right" search word for it. Hence, the idea of the three searches I gave you. Sometimes it just takes someone else to "come up" with different words for what you are trying to do. I always thought of "cloning", but others might call it "imaging", etc...

Hope this helps,
Cuddles