PDA

View Full Version : How to prevent Knoppix from reporting insufficient RAM?

marcin.bi
05-07-2004, 03:43 PM
Hi There,

I am using Knoppix for a quiet server/controller PC working in TXT mode only (runlevel 3).
The problem I have is that I have only 48MB RAM and every time I boot, Knoppix complains about it and asks for confirmation (need to press Enter). This is not acceptable for me since I need to have the machine boot up automatically after any power failure.
So, the question: is there any cheat-code or any other way to prevent this message from appearing or going over it after a timeout (I waited for 1 minute and it didn't time-out, so I assume it waits for Enter)?

Thanks for any hint

OErjan
05-07-2004, 06:29 PM
as it is a server i assume a hddinstall.
create a swapfile or a swap partition and add it to /etc/fstab
you might try to boot in text only mode, that wil reduce the amount of ram needed.
hmm perhaps never start a few things not needed (like auomounter and so).

marcin.bi
05-11-2004, 03:58 PM
as it is a server i assume a hddinstall.
create a swapfile or a swap partition and add it to /etc/fstab
you might try to boot in text only mode, that wil reduce the amount of ram needed.
hmm perhaps never start a few things not needed (like auomounter and so).

Well, actually it is not a classic server. It is supposed to run without any HD. I know very well that, when I have any HD with a swap partition, Knoppix will simply use it without any complaints. That is fine. But I do not have the HD and still want the PC to boot completely without my intervention. Is it possible?