PDA

View Full Version : I need a driver for my printer.

MPenza
05-07-2004, 05:42 PM
Hi to all. After 4 days of trying to install Knoppix 3.3 onto my HDD (I didnt know cmd sudo knoppix-installer:-) ), finally I did it today. I was very happy until I saw that Knoppix does not have a driver for my printer and modem. The printer is Canon LBP-810 (Canon Laser Beam Printer 810, on the USB 1.1 port). I can not find driver on the Canon web site (sofware.canon-europe.com). I do not know howto write drivers, so I ask you for ur help. Does any1 have a driver for this printer (and how can I install it, anyway)?

Thanx for ur help,
MPenza

bamarob
05-07-2004, 07:35 PM
Have you tried configuring it from Knoppix to see if there are CUPS drivers already loaded to support it?

According to the information here: http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Canon-LBP-800, you may be out of luck. Looks like it's a WinPrinter with no/limited Linux support.

Sorry,

Robert

MPenza
05-08-2004, 12:29 PM
Ok. I understand that. Thanx for ur help.

MPenza

user unknown
05-09-2004, 05:01 AM
If you would pay for a driver, you may install a turboprint-driver. They take about 25$ for the driver.

My canon-3000-bjc isn't supported too. Priniting from my laptop I got a big banner on my printing 'Buy a license key'.
On the desktop-system It worked without such a banner.
Surprising.
Now I copied the settings from the desktop to the laptop and no banner too.
Perhaps there is only a random-banner?
Or it depended on the format - in the first time I printed directly from openOffice.
Later - without the banner - I exported my letter to pdf, and printed it with:

knoLi-2.6.5# > lpr letter.pdf

Perhaps it depended only on the file-format.
Since I print about 2 pages per month, I'm not willing to pay 25 bucks. If I had an office I would.
And the next time I buy a printer I look to linux-hardware-support first :)