PDA

View Full Version : smaller Knoppix install?

12-13-2002, 12:42 PM
I got an old laptop that runs great with Knoppix, but I am unable to get the install script to do it's job because my harddrive is too small.

Basically I got 1.9 gigs to work with. If I were able to install the CD minus KDE, openoffice, Mozilla and a few other of the weightier apps I'd have a perfectly configured old laptop.

Has anybody made an iso of a Knoppix one off with all the hardware detection, and a working install for leaner systems?

'KIX' does not detect my usb ethernet connection, and the install script seems broken.

12-15-2002, 10:04 AM
Well, what I did was modified the install script so that the size checks were zapped. After that I mounted hda1 and deleted all the QT, kde, and docs as they were getting written. It worked. I'm sure someone will eventually make an installable, but leaner knoppix based iso in the near future.

There are just too many old computers sitting out there with win95 on them.

BTW, it did a great install on an old Acer 200 laptop, it even recognzed the USB ethernet conection. I got sound working after configuring ALSA.

12-16-2002, 03:30 PM
I got an old laptop that runs great with Knoppix, but I am unable to get the install script to do it's job because my harddrive is too small.

Basically I got 1.9 gigs to work with. If I were able to install the CD minus KDE, openoffice, Mozilla and a few other of the weightier apps I'd have a perfectly configured old laptop.

Has anybody made an iso of a Knoppix one off with all the hardware detection, and a working install for leaner systems?

'KIX' does not detect my usb ethernet connection, and the install script seems broken.[/b]

12-17-2002, 12:50 AM
It would be nice to have minimal knoppix (<< 500MB) to be used as easier debian instalation for those who wish to try 'apt-get' and are unable to install all HW (and network) properly.
It would be also great base for for demo CDs (something like MoviX).

john miles
12-17-2002, 12:21 PM
I use Knoppix running from the HD but in compressed loopback so all you need is ~750MB!!

12-17-2002, 05:53 PM
I found this as my first step away from the windows terror. But i have one problem my scsi cd burner only write 650mb cd-roms :(((
so what i'm asking is wat can I do(let it be easy!) :lol: otherwise i'll search for some one that can write 700mb

stfrn
12-19-2002, 07:50 AM
'john miles', how were you able to store knoppix as a loopback? Us newbies want the commands! Plus, that sounds like a nifty trick to use in the future.