PDA

View Full Version : Cannot boot 3.4: suspect SATA problem - help!

fourthirtysix
05-08-2004, 01:56 AM
QUICK HISTORY:

I have been running a HD install on knoppix 3.3 for some time now and it works great. I have two SATA hard drives in the machine, and after I boot I have to run:

hdparm -X66 -d1 /dev/hdg

in order to get the hard drives to work. In the past when I ran knoppix 3.3 from disk it recognized them automatically.

PROBLEM:

My problem is knoppix 3.4 won't boot at all! If I boot into "linux26" it will freeze / hang / lockup on the line:

Probing SCSI... a100u2w.o

and if I boot with the "linux26 noscsi" option it writes "scanning for hard disk partitions and creating /etc/fstab" and then it starts repeating "disabling irq #18" over and over and over

I saw one post that said to disable plug n play BIOS, so i wnt into my BIOS and it doesnt have that option, but I did change it to not automatically do the plug n play IRQ thing automatically. Now it does Manual and still boots fine in 3.3

BUT i still can't get 3.4 to boot at all......... help! please! thank you
:D

fourthirtysix
05-08-2004, 01:01 PM
A quick update:

I have tried a huge variety of configurations using both linux24 and linux 26 with the noscsi, nodma, noapic and acpi=off with little success.

I can boot successfully with "linux24 noscsi nodma"

However I am trying to boot with linux26 so I can do an HD install. I've tried linux26 with most of the options I list above with no success. The boot config of "linux26 noscsi nodma" will hang on the line:

Accessing KNOPPIX CDROM on /dev/scd0..

Please help! Thank you!

I can always try to do an install with the debian-installer but I prefer Knoppix! :D

moustache
05-10-2004, 04:06 AM
try "knoppix noscsi"
or
try "knoppix26 noscsi"

these both work for me

Moustache

fourthirtysix
05-12-2004, 02:11 AM
thanks moustache,

"knoppix26 noscsi" and "linux26 noscsi" work for me. For some reason, it seemed to be freezing up or hanging on when it tried to do mapping to /etc/fstab but after i waited awhile it finally came back. It was pretty convincing thought and had me fooled. I thought it had locked up. But you have to wait a minute or two,.

Thanks

flint
05-23-2004, 08:41 PM
QUICK HISTORY:

I have been running a HD install on knoppix 3.3 for some time now and it works great. I have two SATA hard drives in the machine, and after I boot I have to run:

hdparm -X66 -d1 /dev/hdg

in order to get the hard drives to work. In the past when I ran knoppix 3.3 from disk it recognized them automatically.

PROBLEM:

My problem is knoppix 3.4 won't boot at all! If I boot into "linux26" it will freeze / hang / lockup on the line:

Probing SCSI... a100u2w.o

and if I boot with the "linux26 noscsi" option it writes "scanning for hard disk partitions and creating /etc/fstab" and then it starts repeating "disabling irq #18" over and over and over

I saw one post that said to disable plug n play BIOS, so i wnt into my BIOS and it doesnt have that option, but I did change it to not automatically do the plug n play IRQ thing automatically. Now it does Manual and still boots fine in 3.3

BUT i still can't get 3.4 to boot at all......... help! please! thank you
:D

Thanks for the post! I used your tip, and booted my 80 GB IDE fine on a 3.3 copy. The 3.4 was indeed hanging. the hang point was when scanning
and creating /etc/fstab.

I will think about how to get aroud this but go forward by going backwards...

Kindest Regards,

Paul

fourthirtysix
05-25-2004, 03:54 PM
i already wrote this in another post but will repeat here since i still have not gotten any help yet.

booting with "knoppix26 noscsi" allows me to boot. when it gets to the mounting /etc/fstab section it hangs for a minute, then begins to repeat "Disabling IRQ #18" over and over again. then after two minutes of this, it finally loads KDE.

unfortunately, after KDE loads i cannot get the SATA hard drive to mount. It tells me that it can't read the superblock. My old trick using knoppix 3.3 of typing "hdparm -X66 -d1 /dev/hdg" doesn't help anymore.

I'm sad that I can't using Knoppix 3.4 because of the continuing problems with getting it to read my sata hard drive but I cannot find help so far

thanks