PDA

View Full Version : knoppix 3.3 - installation blown usising 'aptitude'

Timothy Truckle
05-08-2004, 05:20 PM
Hallo,

I tried to upgrade my installation using 'aptitude' but something went wrong.
Anything I do leads to dpkg trying to configure "locals" and "kdebase-data".
boths failes.

At the moment KDE does not behave correctly and all menus are empty.
also when booting the system complaines:
"Check your locale settings: ... default locale not valid".

especially doing 'apt-get -f install' leads to the same result.

any sugestions?

PS: Antworten in deutsch sind ok.

Stephen
05-08-2004, 09:54 PM
Hallo,

I tried to upgrade my installation using 'aptitude' but something went wrong.
Anything I do leads to dpkg trying to configure "locals" and "kdebase-data".
boths failes.

At the moment KDE does not behave correctly and all menus are empty.
also when booting the system complaines:
"Check your locale settings: ... default locale not valid".

especially doing 'apt-get -f install' leads to the same result.

any sugestions?

PS: Antworten in deutsch sind ok.

Use dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/kdebase-data....deb to force the overwrite of the kde package then dpkg --configure -a to configure the packages left unconfigured when the error happened. BTW it is better to see the output of the error rather than you paraphrasing it so if you can post the output of errors when they happen.

Timothy Truckle
05-09-2004, 09:55 AM
Use dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/kdebase-data....deb to force the overwrite of the kde package
Thank you, that really solved my problem. I had to delete the directory /usr/share/applnk/Games/ maually an to repeat the procedure with the package kdelibs-data. No my KDE is behaving normal again accept for the language. Althogh "german" is selectet in ControlCenter all applications are displayed with english menu entries...

then dpkg --configure -a to configure the packages left unconfigured when the error happened. BTW it is better to see the output of the error rather than you paraphrasing it so if you can post the output of errors when they happen.
Thats where the errormesage appeares (not at boottime, sorry)

here ist die output of the command:

dpkg --configure -a
Setting up locales (2.3.2.ds1-12) ...
Generating locales...
af_ZA.ISO-8859-1... done
ro_RO.ISO-8859-2...LC_ADDRESS: `country_ab3' value does not match `country_num' value
dpkg: error processing locales (--configure):
subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
locales

could this be related to the language problem of my KDE?

thanks so far!
TT

Stephen
05-10-2004, 05:12 AM
No my KDE is behaving normal again accept for the language. Althogh "german" is selectet in ControlCenter all applications are displayed with english menu entries...

Do you have the kde-i18n-de internationalization package installed correctly for the new version of KDE.

here ist die output of the command:

dpkg --configure -a
Setting up locales (2.3.2.ds1-12) ...
Generating locales...
af_ZA.ISO-8859-1... done
ro_RO.ISO-8859-2...LC_ADDRESS: `country_ab3' value does not match `country_num' value
dpkg: error processing locales (--configure):
subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
locales

could this be related to the language problem of my KDE?

thanks so far!
TT

That is an error in a locales package if apt will still let you then apt-get install localepurge and select only the languages that you want to remain on the system during the configuration and if you want to get rid of the other language man pages select them as well. Then you will need to edit the file /etc/locale.gen and remove all the lines except the ones you kept during the install of the localepurge package to prevent them from being regenerated. Now use the dpkg --configure -a again and the only locales generated should be the ones you selected. If it will not let you install the localepurge package then edit the locale.gen to leave only the locales you want in the file and type in locale-gen then enter key as root to generate the locales by hand now use the --configure command.

Timothy Truckle
05-10-2004, 09:26 PM
Do you have the kde-i18n-de internationalization package installed correctly for the new version of KDE.

They were on "hold", everything is fine now.

That is an error in a locales package [how to configure locales]
Thank you for the instructions. Now this problen is solved too.

bye
TT