PDA

View Full Version : Compiled 2.6.5 and mouse acts weird

linuxkid
05-08-2004, 09:29 PM
Hi everyone. Knoppix is a FANTASTIC distro. I am so impressed with it. I only have one issue. If I compile a new kernel in the 2.4 series e.g., 2.4.3 or 2.4.5 then everything runs smoothly. However, if I compile a 2.6 series kernel e.g., 2.6.5 then when X starts I have to shake my mouse about 10 times left and right and then it moves! If I did not move it, then it would just be stuck there forever! WOW :roll: Has anybody seen this before? Thanks guys. Prem

Durand Hicks
05-08-2004, 09:47 PM
Try turning off the option for preemptive kernel when compiling your 2.6 kernel, that should help. In my case, the mouse moves too fast in 2.6 as opposed to 2.4.

linuxkid
05-09-2004, 03:59 AM
Hey thanks for the quick reply. Preemptive kernel huh? I'll check the config file for it. I wonder i f there is some setting in my XF86Config-4 file I change to fix this? But I will definately follow your route. Thank you! Prem. :D

kelmo
05-09-2004, 05:53 AM
In XF86Config-4, change Protocol "PS/2" to "IMPS/2"

Durand Hicks
05-09-2004, 07:33 PM
My XF86Config-4 file has "ExplorerPS/2" as the protocol for my ps/2 mouse. I found somewhere that this is required for compatibility with 2.4 and 2.6 kernels. If left to auto or PS/2, it will work fine in 2.4 but not correctly in 2.6. (My mouse tends to lose the wheelmouse function in 2.6 when using auto or PS/2). You might want to try that as well. But ultimately, preemptive kernel plays a role in this, as this affected my machine when viewing flash programs. With preemptive turned off, the flash program doesn't "seemingly freeze" when attempting to move the mouse to another program or scrolling a page.

Stephen
05-10-2004, 04:27 AM
You might want to try that as well. But ultimately, preemptive kernel plays a role in this, as this affected my machine when viewing flash programs. With preemptive turned off, the flash program doesn't "seemingly freeze" when attempting to move the mouse to another program or scrolling a page.

Have you reniced X by editing the /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config and changing the nice value to 0 (zero)?

Durand Hicks
05-10-2004, 04:56 AM
Stephen,

I read about renicing X, but that was supposed to apply to those kernels that have the o(1) scheduler merged into its code. If I'm using a 2.4 kernel without the o(1) scheduler, then this isn't necessary. I have a set of kernels that I switch between to see what it's effects are on my laptop. Once, I pare down the kernels to about 2, then I'll consider renicing X if I keep the kernel with the o(1) scheduler patched in. I'm not using the 2.6 kernels because they don't do power management correctly, no matter if I compiled with apm or acpi.