PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Filenames

oiic
05-08-2004, 11:34 PM
I have serveral files with japanese filnames on my harddisk (created with Windows XP). However when I open a folder containing files with japanese filenames with Konqueror it doesn't show the files at all. It only shows the files without japanese characters in them.
Is there a solution to this?

user unknown
05-09-2004, 07:09 AM
Yes. Don't use japanese filenames.

They aren't standard (? not sure), and nearly every tool will get troubles with them.
You can't share them to people, who don't have a japanese keybord, and most people don't even have a japanese font.

I'm not sure whether windows officially supports japanese characters in filenames, but it's really only useful, if you use these files only in your box.

[A-Z][a-z][0-9]_$. has been a standard in former times.

Rename or copy these files from windows.

You are a Japanese? And nearly every Japanese has a japanese keybord?

oiic
05-09-2004, 07:08 PM
Yes. Don't use japanese filenames.

They aren't standard (? not sure), and nearly every tool will get troubles with them.
You can't share them to people, who don't have a japanese keybord, and most people don't even have a japanese font.

I'm not sure whether windows officially supports japanese characters in filenames, but it's really only useful, if you use these files only in your box.

[A-Z][a-z][0-9]_$. has been a standard in former times.

Rename or copy these files from windows.

You are a Japanese? And nearly every Japanese has a japanese keybord?

Windows XP supports japanese filnames, I'm not japanese but many files I download (for example with bittorrent) have japanese filenames. So that means if I change to a linux distro I won't be able to download those files anymore? Anyway I was hoping that the problem could be fixed somehow (and renaming the files is not an option).

user unknown
05-09-2004, 07:32 PM
Well - windows supports in some way german umlauts ('äöüÄÖÜ') and 'ß'.
But some tools for win/dos don't handle them correct. It's more a half-way support.

oiic
05-10-2004, 10:28 AM
Well - windows supports in some way german umlauts ('äöüÄÖÜ') and 'ß'.
But some tools for win/dos don't handle them correct. It's more a half-way support.

I found a solution, I mounted the partitions with "-o iocharset=utf8", I haven't tried it under Knoppix though.

garyng
05-10-2004, 11:14 AM
is utf8 just unicode ? I believe Windows use unicode for filename, at least for NT based system, not sure about the 98/ME etc.

user unknown
05-10-2004, 04:21 PM
I'm not sure about that, but I guess you need utf-16 for japanese filenames.

oiic
05-10-2004, 05:18 PM
I'm not sure about that, but I guess you need utf-16 for japanese filenames.

Hmm, I'll try mounting with utf16 but man mount didn't have that as an option. Anyway to clearify, it actually works for me now, I can access the files with japanese filenames. The only problem is that they're named something like "£@$@£$" but that certainly beats not seeing them at all.

user unknown
05-10-2004, 07:47 PM
In kernel 2.6.5 I saw a lot of options about nls - (native language support) in the fs (filesystem) subtree, including nls_euc-jp.
I'm not sure what their duty is, but perhaps it's just your problem, and you have to recompile your kernel (or get a new one).

dresac
05-11-2004, 11:11 PM
edit: sorry ignore :)