PDA

View Full Version : Several inconsistencies with Knoppix 3.4

intuxicated
05-09-2004, 11:46 AM
Greetings.

First of all, this is an awesome community. I have found all of the info and help on a lot of things regarding Knoppix Live CD and HDD-Install, by searching the forums and links posted by users.

Unfortunately, every time I go into Knoppix HDD-Installation on my PC(I have dual boot with XPPro) there are several inconsistencies with Knoppix. For example:

1. Sometimes X starts with the keyboard in DE instead of the previously configured EN.

2. My screen resolution does not match my monitor's capabilities(1280x1024), even though I have edited the config files for XWindows, and have also run XF86Config with the same result, using root account.

3. My HP DeskJet 672C printer doesn't print, even though it has been configured and also detected automatically by the config wizard.

4. KMix opens up automatically sometimes, when X loads.

Any ideas and suggestions?

My current hardware is:
AMD Athlon XP 1900+
512MB RAM
GeForceFX 5200 w/128MB
Hyundai DeluxScan S770 Monitor
Latest NVIDIA drivers installed

godot
05-09-2004, 12:01 PM
I have never encountered your weird type of problems after a hdd install... why not have a look at http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=46750

cu, g.

intuxicated
05-09-2004, 10:55 PM
Thank you godot. I will try those steps to see how it goes.

Any other suggestions or recommendations besides the ones in your site?

TIA

baldyeti
05-09-2004, 11:08 PM
I haven't used the knoppix installer in a while, but could it be that you selected knoppix mode as opposed to debian mode install? If so, the automatic hw detection and possibly the X-configuration runs at each reboot...

intuxicated
05-10-2004, 12:42 AM
It must have been that baldyeti, since when I verified the configuration it had three options, beginner, knoppix and debian. I chose knoppix when I first installed it.

I'm going to try godot instructions to see what happens.

intuxicated
05-13-2004, 07:39 AM
Greetings.

Well, I followed godot's HOWTO (http://godot.studentenweb.org/debian/index_bw.cgi) to the letter. So far everything seems to be working, but I get some error messages when I boot and when I shutdown.

My dmesg can be found here (http://home.coqui.net/jmfix/dmesg.txt). The strange thing is, that there are some error messages displayed at boot time, that I can't seem to find on dmesg. Do I need to look somewhere else?

Where can I find the shutdown log?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thank you for the help so far. :D

--

Take care.

arthuratkinson
05-21-2004, 02:06 AM
I was or am having the same problem as the first poster. The kmix comes up on reboot. So... I did the godot installation. Nice set up of a debian system however, ndiswrapper wouldn't install. So... I reinstalled using the old begginer method and *boom* ndiswrapper installed!

So now I'm back to where I started. Looks like I'll have to live with the kmix poppin up if I want to have the ndiswrapper working. The only way I've been able to get rid of the kmix on boot is to disable the desktop restore. So...

perhaps this kmix starting up problem has something to do with the settings which govern the desktop restore.

Any tips on how to get this kmix not to come up *with* a desktop restore would be welcome.

Arthur

eco2geek
05-21-2004, 06:24 AM
KMix opening when KDE starts after a Knoppix install is kind of odd. Have you checked your ~/.kde/Autostart folder for it?

intuxicated
05-24-2004, 02:43 AM
Greetings.

No I haven't verified the autostart folder yet.

I'm still having problems with the screen resolution not staying at the configured size, after installing nvidia drivers.

Take care.

arthuratkinson
05-24-2004, 03:17 AM
yeah, the only thing in ~/.kde/Autostart/ is a hidden file called directory....

art