PDA

View Full Version : Problem

Hatem
03-04-2003, 02:01 AM
Hey,

I'll start off by saying I'm a complete newbie when it comes to linux. I just tried Knoppix on my Intel P4 2ghz 512ddr ram box, and I encountered some problems.

After pressing enter at the boot prompt, I got a message saying "Error: only one proccessor detected." Then it said something like "Pci Device not detected because of resourse collisions." Right before the gui loaded the screen flashed a couple of times (I don't know if this is normal...).

KDE loaded up fine, but there was no sound and I couldn't connect to the internet. I have a wireless network set up but this computer is the one connected to the modem so I don't think that is the problem.

My ethernet card is Realtek RTL8139 FAMILY PCI FAST ETHERNET NIC, and my sound card is Intel 82801DB/DBM/DA AC'97 Audio Controller.

Thanks in advance,

Hatem

mmaki
03-04-2003, 03:20 AM
I can only answer one of your questions. I believe the latest KNOPPIX is using an smp kernel and it's looking for a 2nd cpu, thus the

"Error: only one proccessor detected." Shouldn't be a problem.

In the few months I've been watching these forums it seems to me audio is the most difficult resource to get working properly.

Good Luck!

Hatem
03-04-2003, 03:31 AM
Thanks for your reply,

I noticed something else, that I had forgetton to include in my message. After I press enter at the boot prompt it says:

"You have passed an undefined mode number
Press <RETURN> to view all video modes, <SPACE> to continue, or wait 30 secs"

I have no idea what this means...

I tried directly connecting the cable modem to my computer but it froze while booting while it was "Autoconfiguring devices"...

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated,

Hatem

aay
03-04-2003, 04:34 AM
....After pressing enter at the boot prompt, I got a message saying "Error: only one proccessor detected." ....
Hatem

Try 'knoppix nosmp' at boot.

god
03-04-2003, 04:35 AM
Thanks for your reply,

I noticed something else, that I had forgetton to include in my message. After I press enter at the boot prompt it says:

"You have passed an undefined mode number
Press <RETURN> to view all video modes, <SPACE> to continue, or wait 30 secs"

I have no idea what this means...

I tried directly connecting the cable modem to my computer but it froze while booting while it was "Autoconfiguring devices"...

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated,

Hatem

hit enter and ignore that message. I do.

god
03-04-2003, 04:36 AM
could you do me 3 favors?

list the PCI devices you have, and the order they are in, AND the device number of the PCI error?