PDA

View Full Version : Can't boot with kernel 2.6.5 / possible SATA problems

fourthirtysix
05-09-2004, 07:02 PM
I have been running a HD install on knoppix 3.3 for some time now and it works great. I have two SATA hard drives in the machine, and after I boot I have to run "hdparm -X66 -d1 /dev/hdg" in order to get the hard drives to work. In the past when I ran knoppix 3.3 from disk it recognized them automatically.

knoppix 3.4 won't boot at all with the 2.6 kernel! If I boot into "linux26" it will freeze / hang / lockup on the line "Probing SCSI... a100u2w.o"

if I boot with the "linux26 noscsi" option it writes "scanning for hard disk partitions and creating /etc/fstab" and then it starts repeating "disabling irq #18" over and over and over

I saw one post that said to disable plug n play BIOS, so i wnt into my BIOS and it doesnt have that option, but I did change it to not automatically do the plug n play IRQ thing automatically. Now it does Manual and still boots fine in 3.3

I have tried a huge variety of configurations using both linux24 and linux26 with the noscsi, nodma, noapic and acpi=off with little success.

I can boot successfully with "linux24 noscsi nodma"

However I am trying to boot with linux26 so I can do an HD install. I've tried linux26 with most of the options I list above with no success. The boot config of "linux26 noscsi nodma" will hang on the line "Accessing KNOPPIX CDROM on /dev/scd0.."

Can anyone help? Thank you!

zentu
05-11-2004, 01:24 AM
1: What is your hardware?

2: Try the new 3.4 that was released today (at 2 AM EDT on 5/10/2004). It may have some fixes

fourthirtysix
05-12-2004, 02:14 AM
thanks zentu,

i got it working. when i ran it with "knoppix26 noscsi" or "linux26 noscsi" i was getting pretty far but seemed to be hanging up when it got to looking for things to add to /etc/fstab

if i leave it running for a few minutes, it eventually does boot though. its just really slow for some reason. it took it a full minute or two looking like it had locked up. but i was patient finally and it loaded.

thanks!