PDA

View Full Version : Printing with linux

TRON____
03-04-2003, 03:28 AM
From what i can figure, KDE says I need to install print subsystems, to work with its front end and throught to the printer, what are the subsytems needed and how to install them?
Thanxx
Ron

aay
03-04-2003, 04:16 AM
From what i can figure, KDE says I need to install print subsystems, to work with its front end and throught to the printer, what are the subsytems needed and how to install them?
Thanxx
Ron

I'm not sure what your error message is, but I know that a client/server error ALWAYS comes up when youfirst try and add a printer. If this is all that's wrong, just click ok and go on with the wizard. It should work, but post if there are problems.

TRON____
03-06-2003, 01:30 AM
no. it goes throughlike allis fine butit does not print , the system syas all is fine, and they dont appear in the jobs folder, they just diappear to never never land, hahaha Ron

aay
03-06-2003, 08:34 AM
BTW,

What is your printer model?

TRON____
03-06-2003, 11:06 PM
it is an Okidata Okipage 4 w laser printer, it is in the printer list, and loads sets up and acts like it is printing, but nothing happens. :D

TRON____
03-06-2003, 11:10 PM
when I say the printer acts like it is printing, I do not mean the physical machine, rather the program, or inf?

aay
03-06-2003, 11:38 PM
Well, I'm not sure what to say. I'm no printing expert for sure. Assuming that this (http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=64672) is your printer it appears that it is "mostly supported". You can check the notes on that page also. You want to try using just postscript.

TRON____
03-07-2003, 12:08 AM
when i try to use postscript, it tells me no postscript drivers installed? so could you tell me how to get postscript working, i am willing to give that or anything else a try, as pretty much all other apps run really well.

TRON____
03-09-2003, 12:47 AM
could it be a problem with cups?

mabhatter
03-10-2003, 07:52 AM
Is that printers are extremely fickle under Alt OSes. Either it works or you get nothing!

That said, network printers seem to work best. Granted, they are really expensive to keep at home, but at work they're the bomb. I have an IBM infoprint (Lexmark optra s ) at work and it set up perfectly under CUPS with no specific printer driver.

Without a printer driver, KDE seems to just ignore the error rather than crash. I guess it's a good thing! But it makes it hard to tell if your working or not. If you desperately need to print and can't get the priter working try saving to PDF. KDE seems to do really well with it and you can then goto a <blasphamy> Windows </blasphemy> computer and print off what you need--or just email it!