PDA

View Full Version : M-audio audiophile 2496 problem

ChaseB
05-09-2004, 11:41 PM
I don't know whether this is the appropriate place to post this, but I've had the same problem with two Knoppix based distributions, so I figured I'd give this forum a try. The two distrobutions are Kanotix and the new Demudi live CD. The problem is that the sound plays back too fast. Gordon Lightfoot comes out sounding like Alvin the Chipmunk. The speed is consistent, but just too fast. The strange part is that it works great from the live CD, but as soon as I install to the hard drive, the speed goes up. I don't have the problem with my old TB Santa Cruz. This is using ALSA. I'm hoping to do some recording with Ardour, so I need ALSA. Has anyone else had or heard of this problem? The card is based on the Envy24 chip.
My system: Albatron KX400-8x motherboard, Athlon 2100+, 512M ram, Nvidia GeForce2 video card. :?

ChaseB
05-11-2004, 04:04 AM
If anyone is interested, I got it working. Apparently it was a sample rate problem. 44100 hz files were being played at 48000 hz. ALSA-tools has a program called envy24control which allows setting the hardware sample rate. This of course requires setting the hardware rate explicitly according to the file, but that is workable. It still seems strange that the problem doesn't occur in the live CD versions.

--Chase