PDA

View Full Version : Karamba, help the noob! :)

Wrincle
05-10-2004, 04:21 AM
How can I make Karamba work on my KDE Knoppix desktop?

The one I want to work is Cynapses Karamba...

I must say after I saw the desktop sample I was hooked and the concept of Karamba reeled me in. The problem is, i'm a super Knoppix n00b and I have no idea how to install this.

Thank you to anyone who replies...

gordonb
05-10-2004, 02:28 PM
First, you need to apt-get install karamba, if you haven't already. Then, you need to write/edit a configuration file usually named something.theme. This file usually resides in your home directory.

The configuration files for the cynapses theme are, I think, on one of the Overclockix discs. The maverick theme is on Overclockix 3.4. Simply boot from the cd and copy the theme files. Once you look at them and the karamba site/docs, its pretty self-explanatory. An example of a theme which monitors wireless signal strength can be found here: http://knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10380&highlight=&sid=2b4881babeb96b8faa9e0c25f938a8cc

karamba is mostly eye candy and uses about 5-10% of cpu cycles on my laptop if you have multiple sensors enabled. I find it most useful to monitor wireless signal strength and link quality. The other sensors to monitor memory, disc usage, etc., are pretty worthless. You will enable them then, after several days, get rid of them.