PDA

View Full Version : can't copy to hdd

stewball
05-10-2004, 07:04 PM
I recently uninstalled some drivers which deleted y boot.ini (windows) I'm using knoppix 3.3 to try and copy another boot.ini from floppy to HDD. I can't copy the file to my HDD though. it says I don't have permission but when I login as the superuser in konqueror is says i don't have write permission.

I didn't build the PC myself I was too lazy and I decided to buy it from packard bell is this something to do with it??

Markus
05-10-2004, 07:18 PM
If your windows partition is NTFS, knoppix 3.3 won't write to it. You need to copy it via a floppy, FAT partition, internet or some such.
If your windows partition is FAT, you can right-click the icon on the desktop and choose "Change Read/Write Mode".

stewball
05-11-2004, 07:26 PM
ah yes it is NTFS thanks alot man, but how else could I write the file to the Hdd if knoppix won't do it??

Markus
05-11-2004, 07:49 PM
Knoppix 3.4 has NTFS write support but I haven't tried it. There are others with it like knoppix-std.
If you copy the file to floppy, usb-memory or some such with knoppix., you can just reboot to windows and save it to hd there. Or did I misunderstand your question?
Other than that you could make a fat partition on your hd, that's what I mostly use for moving things between win and knoppix.