PDA

View Full Version : KNOPPIX34 IS A HIT!!!

A. Jorge Garcia
05-11-2004, 12:11 AM
Works great right out of the box (after burning, that is)! No sooner had I burnt some KNOPPIX34 CDs than I reinstalled all my PCs at work. Could not have been easier or smoother! Kernel26 seems to be working just fine on my Dell Optiplex G270s too!

The only weird thing is on the KDM login screen, right after boot-up, it takes a little while before the mouse is recognized. I have to move the mouse around for about 20-30 seconds before the mouse pointer actually moves. I don't know why that happens, but once the pointer moves, there's no other problems so far.

Congrats Klauss et al for a great update!!!

Regards,
AJG

j.drake
05-11-2004, 01:46 AM
Works great right out of the box (after burning, that is)! No sooner had I burnt some KNOPPIX34 CDs than I reinstalled all my PCs at work. Could not have been easier or smoother! Kernel26 seems to be working just fine on my Dell Optiplex G270s too!

The only weird thing is on the KDM login screen, right after boot-up, it takes a little while before the mouse is recognized. I have to move the mouse around for about 20-30 seconds before the mouse pointer actually moves. I don't know why that happens, but once the pointer moves, there's no other problems so far.

Congrats Klauss et al for a great update!!!

Regards,
AJG

Thank you, Jorge, for validating my reported bug - See Fabian, I'm NOT CRAZY! (I posted it as a bug in 0504 release) :?

Just downloaded the 0510 release with Knoppix26. Greatly improved!!! The mouse is still sluggish, especially with small movements, seems reluctant to move (HP optical mouse made by Logitech, I think).

I don't have to use the noscsi boot flag any more, and the clock reads the correct time!

I did still get a hang when I tried to install the NTFS drivers, though.

Anyway, this is the best so far. My thanks as well!!

JD

Klik is COOL.

j.drake
05-12-2004, 06:17 AM
BTW, clock reverts to the 05-04 problems when midnight hits (apparently the fix cannot handle hour =0,

Fabianx
05-13-2004, 01:00 PM
Thank you, Jorge, for validating my reported bug - See Fabian, I'm NOT CRAZY! (I posted it as a bug in 0504 release) :?

Sorry,

no offence was meant.

Your bug report did sound like you were unsatisfied with the mouse speed. And A. Jorge Gacia's problem solved "itself" after moving the mouse around a bit.

I still don't know how we can fix that issue though. I want to put it to 2.6 bugs ;-), but if you can prove me how to fix it, I would be glad ...

cu

Fabian

DavidTempler
05-13-2004, 04:00 PM
I just wanted to say that 3.4 is great

Thanks to all at Knoppix for a great distro....

Dave T.

j.drake
05-13-2004, 09:20 PM
Sorry,

no offence was meant

None taken. Your work is greatly appreciated, and I can't begin to propose a fix. All I can do is report what I see as accurately as I can, and hope that someone like you is smart enough to figure it out. :)

A. Jorge Garcia
05-14-2004, 01:15 AM
Well, the mouse problem is related to 2.6 as it only happens when I boot Kernel 2.6!

BTW, in lilo dual-boot on my Debian hdinstalls, I now get WIMxPdoze and 3 choices for Linux: Linux, Linux 2.4 and Linux 2.6, are the first 2 Linux choices basically the same? I don't see any difference.

The mouse problem isn't a big deal for me, but its enough of a big deal in a multiuser environment that we can't use 2.6 yet. My users invariably think the PC is off - not just asleep - and reboot!

Regards,
AJG

j.drake
05-14-2004, 02:07 AM
For me, it is most apparent when I try to move the optical mouse very slowly - sort of a one jerk forward, 2 jerks back sort of thing, if that makes any sense. Looks like it's trying not to move when I go slowly. So, when I move the mouse in a normal fashion, the net effect is that the pointer moves more slowly and jerkily than expected, and not as far. The faster hand movement overcomes the jerky resistance.

It's not slow in the sense of latency. It's like you're dragging a running dog by its tail, not as if you're pulling a weight with a rubber band.

SunnyB
05-14-2004, 02:10 PM
I experience the same symptoms with my mouse when I start X.
I have to move the mouse a lot to make it start.
I tried letting it set for a while after logon to see if it would start responding
on its own but no matter how long it sets idle, I sill must move the mouse
for at least 10 seconds before it will respond.

I thought I had set something wrong.
I'm sorry you guys are having a problem but I'm glad it's not just me.

JFJ
05-15-2004, 05:40 AM
I had the same problem. I switched to an optical mouse on the USB port, and that worked fine. So, I don't know why my old ps/2 mechanical mouse didn't work, but I can attest that the optical mouse worked.

master_b
05-15-2004, 07:14 AM
LOVE it, despite initial problems with Bradcast DHCP (fixed by replugging network cables to Switch)

Particularly liker ability to auto recognise my external firewire HDD, and allow me to read from it (NTFS partitioned - WinXP).

Also LOVE the ability to read my DVD-RAM disks

Haven't tried writing to DVD-RAM yet, or using Captive to write to NTFS.

Am getting that much closer to ditching XP permanently.

Now all I have to do is manage to convert my bookmarks from a CSV file (kept in a windows PIM) and import them into a bookmark manager in Knoppix.

master_b

j.drake
05-15-2004, 08:49 PM
Am getting that much closer to ditching XP permanently.

I have to admit, the idea of living without being dependent upon paid software seems less and less like a pipe dream since 3.4 came out. I'm still not ready to talk non-geeks into it, though.

JD

bongski55
05-17-2004, 01:25 AM
Knoppix 3.4 a hit? I disagree. As I stated in another post every new version of knoppix has a new set of problems for me. Now with 3.4 my pc does not shutoff completely. Used to be okay in 3.3 and also with the Cbit remaster.
What is going on? Knoppix is supposed(?) to get better. I don't think it's only me as there are 2 posts already with the same problem.

vimalm
05-20-2004, 09:39 PM
I just want to say that 3.4 is a total hit. Me being a newbie to linux, and coming from M$ I spent a full week researching the installation issues and playing with the live CD. I was scared to install it, but finally I decided to take the plunge by installing it on my laptop. It worked and all the external devices work too (though I had to look to find answers to some questions like editing the fstab for usb device and making the cdrom work).

I am still clueless about the fact, that sometimes my system boots directly to kde and sometimes to console where I have to issue startx command to start kde. And in these two cases, fonts on the applications like konqueror and kwrite change completely. But that is a minor problem. I am sure someday it will get fixed or I will find out the solution somewhere on the net.

It has been over a week now I booted that other OS. If things work the way they are right now for a while, I am considering firing M$ for ever and recover my precious diskspace on my laptop.

Grrrreat work!!