PDA

View Full Version : newbie - debian version

jforbes
03-04-2003, 02:39 PM
What release of Debian will I have after installing Knoppix to the HD? Assuming it is not a stock release, which release is it closest to?

More to the point, what if any changes to the sources file will be needed, and which Debian release will I be looking for .debs for?

u.jochum
03-04-2003, 04:12 PM
Knoppix is based on Debian Woody testing. You will find more software packages on any Debian mirror. Please look at

http://www.debian.org/

For updating and downloading software you should be familiar with apt-get, a piece of software that does all the downloading and installing for you. Please read the documentations at www.debian.org. There are a number of very good introductions to apt-get in the net, just try to locate them via Google.

jforbes
03-04-2003, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the answer; I apologize that it leads to another question:

What is "Debian Woody testing"?

I thought Woody was now stable and that Sarge is testing, and yet I hear that "KDE 3.1 is now in Woody", even though Woody is stable at KDE 2.2. I guess this is why I felt the need to ask in the first place.

u.jochum
03-04-2003, 04:56 PM
You are right and I am wrong: "sarge" is the codename for the testing release of the current debian, while "woody" is the name of the current stable release. According to the readme-file that comes with Knoppix the system is based on debian "testing" (=sarge) and "unstable" (=sid). When the testing is done and over, sarge will be the new release and replace woody.

Woody comes with KDE 2.2, indeed. I've read somewhere that there is KDE 3.1. available for woody, but I've read also that it is rather tricky to integrate KDE 3.1. into a running woody debian system. If I was you I would simply wait for the next debian release and then, doing apt-get, you will easily switch to KDE 3.1 by updating your whole system (provided sarge comes with KDE 3.1).

jforbes
03-04-2003, 05:08 PM
Thanks for answering me, but I still don't know what version of Debian Knoppix is based on. Is it in fact based on any specific version of Debian.

u.jochum
03-04-2003, 05:26 PM
Well, I don't know if there is a more specific answer to your question than: Knoppix is based on debian testing and debian unstable. If your question is provoked by a kind of fear that you may ruin the system when installing "wrong" or "unstable" software, you should know that debian can handle the installation of different versions of software pieces. For instance you can download and install software X from the "stable" package AND software X from the "unstable" package. But as I said: to do this, you should read a little bit about apt-get. And please forgive me: I think this thread and all of your questions should be better placed in the General Support forum. There you may find more and more extensive help.

BionicToothpick
03-04-2003, 06:25 PM
http://jaqque.sbih.org/kplug/apt-pinning.html

(I remove stable entries)