PDA

View Full Version : knoppix 3.4 doesnt boot

bennettg
05-11-2004, 01:48 AM
hello. newbie here. I burned 10 copies of knoppix 3.4 today and verified the md5.

I am trying to run knoppix on a dell inspiron 8600. it has 1G of ram. I also tried on a dell dimension 2400 desktop without success

It doesn't boot at all from the cd i created from the .iso, even when I change the bios settings to block windows xo on the hard disk.

version 3.3 did work for me. any ideas why 3.4 doesnt work?

user unknown
05-11-2004, 05:17 AM
What does 'doesn't boot at all' mean?
Isn't there a bootscreen?
What does the cd-drive do? Blinking, spinnning?
Is booting from cd enabled, and did this box boot from some other CD?

Note: When running with more than 800/900 Mb Ram, the additional ram isn't recognized. (Or is there a bigram kernel choosable in some expert-menu?)
If you get it running, get the kernel-sources, and recompile, with:

(x) bigram 4 GB option.

The meaning of this entry isn't quite clear - does it mean 'more than' or 'up to' 4GB RAM? It means 'up to', but you don't see from where on you need this option.
But this shouldn't affect booting - 800 MB is enough to boot.

alof8k
05-14-2004, 03:57 AM
the problem could be that something cannot be recognized. some people have problems with scsi. so try the cheatcode noscsi. unfortuneately this disables hotplug for some reason. in addition to noscsi try the cheatcode for restarting hotplug.

boot: linux26 noscsi /etc/init.d/hotplug restart

ofcourse I use that for booting the linux 2.6 kernal. If you want the old kernal, just use 'linux' not 'linux26'.

Hope this helps. :D