PDA

View Full Version : where's 'nvidia-kernel-common' disappeared to??????

MillTek
05-11-2004, 04:39 AM
Hi,
I managed to use Kelmo's instructions (pasted below) to install the Nvidia driver and get my Geforce card working. I was also able to get the Twinview working beautifully. That was on Sunday woth knoppix 2004-5-4. Today I saw that 2--4-5-10 has been released to address (amongst others) some issues with eth0. So I wiped my system and installe it. Then I applie the instructions below but it all stops working because apt-get install nvidia-kernel-common nvidia-kernel-source causes a response of 'can't find nvidia-kernel-common'

Could the name have changed overnight?? Please can anyone help.

Here's Kelmo's instructions

Posted: Mon May 10, 2004 10:21 pm
Only after finding the the instructions below, was I able to get the drivers running okay (with an additional twist at the end -see below). The thread can be found here: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10329
but I'll go ahead and include them anyway in case someone else finds their way to my thread. These instructions took a while to complete, but they work. Thanks kelmo!!

__________________________________________________ _______
wget ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.5.tar.bz2
cp linux-2.6.5.tar.bz2 /usr/src
tar jxvf linux-2.6.5.tar.bz2
rm -f linux
ln -s linux-2.6.5 linux
cp /boot/config-2.6.5 linux/.config
cd linux/include
ln -s asm-i386 asm
cd ..
make oldconfig
patch -p1 <../knoppix-kernel26.patch
make include/linux/version.h (bug in cleaning process of linux-2.6.5)
cd /usr/bin
rm -f gcc
ln -s gcc-2.95 gcc
cd /usr/src
apt-get update
apt-get install nvidia-kernel-common nvidia-kernel-source
tar zxvf nvidia-kernel-source
cd modules/nvidia-kernel
debian/rules KSRC=/usr/src/linux-2.6.5 KVERS=2.6.5 kdist_image
cd ..
dpkg -i nvidia-kernel-2.6.5_1.0.5336-9_i386.deb
apt-get install nvidia-glx
cd /usr/bin
rm -f gcc
ln -s gcc-3.3 gcc

Thats the building and installation procedure done, now to let xserver know what driver to use. Edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 with your fav text editor and make the following mods:-

Drivers Section
Replace "nv" with "nvidia"

As I said, it worked beautifully with 2004.5.4. Can someone help?

TIA

Jim

kelmo
05-16-2004, 12:45 PM
For future reference MillTek, after successfully installing packages via apt, the binaries remain in their folder: /var/cache/apt/archives.

Some of those will be worth keeping on a seperate medium for the very purpose of what you have done; starting from scratch. Take note of their dependencies. You can the install them without the long process of apt-get update and redownloading them and install with the basic dpkg commands.