PDA

View Full Version : running knoppix in text mode using toram to burn new knoppix

od
05-11-2004, 08:53 AM
Hi Folks,

I have downloaded 3.4 and it is saved to ramdisk using knoppix 3.2 and klik BTmanager and I can't save it to the unsupported NTFS partition.

I want to burn 3.4 to CD, to do so I need to eject my knoppix cd from the drive and put in the blank CD.

My question is - can I boot knoppix using knoppix 2 (textmode) and the toram cheat, then somehow access the earlier saved 3.4 iso and use a command line to use cdrecord to burn the new disk.

I'm running an XP (NTFS) , 2.4 GHz small form factor dell with combined CD / CD-writer drive.

Any advice welcome!

OD

eco2geek
05-11-2004, 09:32 AM
Um...the first problem is, if you saved the ISO to a ramdisk (that's one large ramdisk!), it's going to disappear (as what's saved in RAM always does) when you turn off the power to your computer or reboot. In other words, once you reboot, that "earlier saved 3.4 ISO" will be gone, and you'll have to download it again.

I don't know if the Captive NTFS drivers have a limitation on the size of the file you can save to an NTFS partition, but you might try installing Captive and copying the file over, if you haven't already rebooted.

softwaretester
05-11-2004, 01:36 PM
Perhaps he could resize the NTFS partition using QTparted, and put in a fat partition so he doesn't have to do the captive NTFS thing.

mzilikazi
05-11-2004, 04:03 PM
Ummmm........let's make life simple why don't we?

Boot windows
Download Knoppix
Boot Knoppix w/ toram
remove Knoppix cd

mount /dev/hda2 (or wherever you saved the knoppix.iso)

cdrecord dev=0,1,0 speed=16 -dao /mnt/hda2/knoppix.iso

Done. :)