PDA

View Full Version : HD install - laptop restart problem

rctRO
03-04-2003, 05:30 PM
Hello! I must start saying i'm a complete newbie at Linux, in fact I'm rather a Win fan...till I found out about Knoppix...i tried it and decided to keep it on my HDD. Being newbie at linux i decided to keep WinXP also. I HDD installed Knoppix on a partion(6.5G -hda3) after i installed winXP on other partion(8.5G-hda1). The swap is on hda2. Everything went smooth and both systems work fine and I even started to learn linux :D ..after all with this Knoppix distro, Linux is not such a scary thing! 8)

Now comes my problem! I use a laptop (Toshiba Satellite 1800-314) and my problem is when trying to restart/reboot the system from knx. The system shows me that it goes down, then appear "system is now rebooting" ...then everything goes black and so it remains till I manually power off the system and reopen it from the power switch. When I restart from Windows it goes fine but from knopix it doesn't want to restart. Using the same soft configuration i tried to install knoppinx on my desktop PC and there is no problem into restarting the system(but on that HDD is not at all windows installed...only knoppix)... Do you have any ideea?

And my second prob would be my modem...I have installed a PCMCIA card for LAN and a modem (it came with my original configuration of my laptop). There is no problem for detecting, configuring and working with my lan card but the system doesn't detect my modem (is a LUCENT)... is it because of the modem or because I don't have the proper driver or because knoppix can not work with my modem?

I use the Knoppix 3.1 01/20/2003 version.

Thank you!

Robert Michel
03-06-2003, 01:19 PM
Salve!

I have an idea about your modem-problem:
is your modem a build in one?

Then I'm sorry that I must tell you that Laptop-vendors sell sound-
cards with telefon-conectors and a special windows driver as "modems".
But the these are softwaremodems not hardwaremodems. :evil:
So it is not a Knoppix - problem, it is an GNU/Linux problem, that
the vendor of these winmodems do not support the development of drivers for GNU/Linux.
Knoppix has a great hardwaresupport, so I have only a view hope
for your modem, BUT please visit
http://www.linmodems.org
to find out if someone already made your winmodem running with
GNU/Linux.

Greetins
rob

PS: I own a Dell Inspiron 4000 and I can't use my winmodem, too.

rctRO
03-07-2003, 01:24 PM
hello!

Thank you for your reply! I went to check out your link and also I did some browsing and research :D and I descovered that my modem is a LUCENT_SCORPIO one! Visiting this site: http://newsletter.toshiba-tro.de/main/ i got some drivers to try to see if they are of any help. I'll try them tonite and I'll tell you.

Thanks again for your help!

PS- Hearing you also have a laptop i want to ask you if you can reboot your knx system... I still can't figure out a solution for that (anoying) problem!

PS2 - Is it possible using the knx 3.1(20/01/2003) to change the kde v3.0 with the new 3.1 release? I love the KDE and i'm curious if i could find a HOWTO or something on this issue.

hplasm
03-07-2003, 02:59 PM
I am running Knoppix on a Thinkpad 570E with Win98 and I also have trouble restarting from Knoppix to Windows, but not the other way round. I think this a Win failing, but the '98 installation is so flakey anyway (it's been running over 2 yrs) that I'm not too surpriseed.
Incidentally, the WinModem in this laptop was detected ok by Knoppix...
:roll:

rickenbacherus
03-07-2003, 11:01 PM
Try disabling power management in your BIOS.

If that doesn't work do a search here at Knoppix or here:JustLinux (http://www.justlinux.com)

or here

LinuxQuestions (http://www.linuxquestions.org)

for 'apm' or 'noapm' you'll find that there are issues with Linux and advanced power management. You can pass the option 'noapm' at boot. If you've installed it already you'll need to add this option in a boot script somewhere. It's a fairly well documented issue.

rctRO
03-08-2003, 05:01 PM
:cry: ...Nope! It doesn't work!... i tried disabling the power management and nothin...then I reinstalled the knx putting the "noapm" command at CDboot but NOTHING! plus, i gave my CD to a friend (laptop user) and he has no problem!...