PDA

View Full Version : Question about using knoppix

Shopro
05-12-2004, 08:21 AM
I was wondering that when i boot knoppix from a cd and set my printers and etc, where do these things get saved and do i have to manually add them again once i boot from the cd next time ?

Thanks in advance

iang
05-12-2004, 08:30 AM
Use 'save knoppix configuration' under the knoppix button to save settings to a floppy, usb memory or whatever. Otherwise all the settings are saved in RAM which will be lost when you shut down.

Boot up again with 'knoppix config=scan' at the boot prompt to restore your settings.

Craig2
05-12-2004, 09:12 PM
that should be

knoppix myconfig=scan if you don't remember where you saved the configuration file.

You could also do knoppix myconfig=/dev/hda1 if hda1 is where your configuration is.

Once you have the configuration saved, you won't have to use the language cheat code, lang=us for example, it will be set by the configuration file. Also remember to check if you have dma devices, and test to see if dma works with your setup and knoppix. If you don't have problems, add the dma flag to the start line:

knoppix myconfig=scan dma

so that you turn dma on for your hard drives and cd drives. Leaving dma off is a huge hit (at least 10x better performance on my setup with dma on) on performance. If you have problems with dma on all devices, you can still turn on dma on your hard drives by using hdparm on the command line, but be very careful with hdparm, you can destroy your drive with it. Also, if you enable dma from the command line after start up, it "forgets" next time you boot, so you have to remember to do it after each boot, after the system starts up. It's easier to remember if you can do it from the startup command.

Use man hdparm for more info, and google it for more info if you need it. The -d flag is for dma, it should =1.