PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 3.4 and net conection via adsl router/modem and lan

master_b
05-12-2004, 09:56 AM
I have to boot the knoppix 3.4 cd with knoppix no dhcp else it hangs when it times out trying to deal with dhcp.

I've tried everything I know (not much) to connect to the net.

On other distros/live cds I just need to activate the eth0 card as the router/modem takes care of eberything else.

how do i do this in knoppix?

Thanks in advance

user unknown
05-12-2004, 01:16 PM
did you try pppoeconf?

master_b
05-12-2004, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the reply

ppoeconf is not necessary - nothing should need to be set up when connecting via a router/modem.

I just proved this after having an inspiration and plugging the router/modem directly into the PC's ethernet card and connecting to the 'Net immediately with no other action reqd.

When connected to the router/modem through my ethernet switch(home LAN), knoppix's DHCP Broadcast on boot times out.

Ant help re boot options to prevent this please?

master_b
05-14-2004, 04:31 AM
Problem now fixed.

Had a moment of lucidity and disconnected cables from ethernet switch for 2nd and 3rd PC (not booted) . Lo and Behold, Knoppix 3.4 booted and gave me instant access to the 'Net.

Reconnected 2 cables and booted Knoppix again - All worked 100%.

Must have been a loosely connected cable at the switch for PC 2 or 3, and even if they were not switched on, Knoppix timed out trying to do a DHCP Broadcast. That's all I can think of given the circumstances.