PDA

View Full Version : HD Map is fscked?

tilleyrw
05-12-2004, 03:14 PM
After partitioning my drive, I installed Knoppix to hda1 (/, 58 GB) and hda2 (swap, 1 GB).

Note: Partition designation must be added to the installer. I wanted
to use hda1=/, hda2=swap, hda3=/home, and hda4=/usr
but could not _easily_ do this with the installer. Yes, you can modify
the .kno file but it should all be within the GUI.

Problem: I was running KMail last night after an apt-get update, upgrade cycle. KMail crashed because of a disk-full error. If / is on a 58 GB disk, there is _no way_ that the disk could have filled from either the apt-get operations or KMail ops. I believe that somehow the mapping of my hard drive has been changed.

Bob

Cuddles
05-12-2004, 05:08 PM
Tilleyrw,

Hmmmm, from what I can see, it sounds like you "must" have gotten your drive mapped the way you were thinking you "wanted" it to be [?]

Just for background, what sizes would you have set up the partitions?

You suggested you wanted the following setup:

hda1=/, hda2=swap, hda3=/home, and hda4=/usr

What sizes were...
/dev/hda1
/dev/hda2
/dev/hda3
and lastly,
/dev/hda4

Only thing I can think of, and this is only my guess, the ROOT was being used in the apt-get update/upgrade, and either, or both, the HOME and USR areas were being used in KMail - don't quote me on this, its only my guess. Depending on the sizing of these partitions, it would, I would think, possibly cause a "disk full" error if the partition got full.

I have not only had KMail running, but two Mozilla sessions, Frozen-Bubble, and two Konsole sessions, running while I was doing a apt-get [anything] - and have yet to have anything "crash" or report a disk is full.

I only have one "physical" hard drive, a 41 gig, broken down into 40.5 gig for the complete system, and 500 Mb for the Swap, currently I am at 19.3 GB free on the "main" partition. I would like to get to using the "suggested" partitioning that you are trying to set up, but have not been able to "iron down" the exact sizing I should be using. The only thing I was able to get exacting, was the swap, 500 MB.

Hope this helps,
Ms. Cuddles

user unknown
05-12-2004, 05:15 PM
tillyrw:

you may use 'df' (DiskFree) to get a quick look on your partitions - size, usage, name, ...