PDA

View Full Version : Forum Mail Notifications - Ideas...

Cuddles
05-12-2004, 04:45 PM
First of all, I get email notification when someone posts a reply to any thread that I have contributed to, or have asked to be notified if someone contributes. That is working fine, no problems with the email system, just, in the format of the email notification...

Can the email notification contain not only the "Topic" that was replied to, but also the Forum it is in??? I have contributed discussions in a few forums, and when you get these email notifications, you end up running around "most" of the forums to find it...

If this can be done easily, it would benefit someone like me, who posts in many of the forums, and then "hopefully" can figure out, from the topic, where the post actually is.

Maybe wording the email notification to:

You are receiving this email because you are watching the topic, "something", in forum, "ForumName", at Knoppix. This topic has received a reply since your last visit. [...]

Since I can't get Mozilla to fire off a link in KMail, Konq always trys to start the link, and then dies, the click option within the email notification won't work in my situation. ( I have tried to get that working, and still won't work, so I just go off the "text" in the email currently )

Is this "feature" something that can easily be set up? Does anyone else think this would be a benefit to them as well? Or, am I just the only one that seems to find this an issue with the email notification???

Just seeing something that "might" make life a little easier,
Ms. Cuddles

user unknown
05-12-2004, 05:26 PM
How do you browse the forum?
Couldn't you cut'n' paste the linkt to the browsers adress-field?

I'm using mozilla and hitting the link works for me (without any special setup that I remember).

Cuddles
05-12-2004, 05:44 PM
How do you browse the forum?
Couldn't you cut'n' paste the linkt to the browsers adress-field?

I'm using mozilla and hitting the link works for me (without any special setup that I remember).

I use Mozilla too, but the link in KMail points to Konq, I've tried to "re-point" HTML, and such, to Mozilla, through the settings, but it never works. So, I either live with Konq not able to display PHP format errors when I click the link in KMail, or I change the "pointer" in KMail to Mozilla, and it errors out. (in either case, both don't work)

Yes, I could cut/paste, did it for a while, but, I just use a single Mozilla session, and would like to see "who" posted to the subject, "before" I open it, from within the Forum Index. (mostly, symantics, I know)

KMail and Mozilla never worked together for me, glad to see it is for someone else, though.

But, to get back to thread subject, I have topic mail notifications from a few other places, and there notifications give a lot more information in the email, as I mentioned above, not only the topic, but where the topic exists, (and even "who" posted the reply), and just thought "maybe" this could be added into this forum notification (the forum name,. that is)

Ms. Cuddles

user unknown
05-12-2004, 05:51 PM
Sorry - no - I don't use Kmail, using mozilla-mail.

Durand Hicks
05-13-2004, 06:34 PM
Cuddles,

Have you set your preferred browser in the KDE control center? If that doesn't do it you can also set it globally by opening a console window as root and type
update-alternatives --config x-www-browser or
update-alternatives --config www-browser

HTH,

Durand

Cuddles
05-13-2004, 07:44 PM
Durand,

Can't locate where in Control Center I can set the web browser at...

So, I tried the above commands, the x-www-browser was set to Konq, so I set it to Mozilla.

I tried the second command, the www-browser, which came up with two options, elink and lynx - I think - and lynx was the set one - I left that one alone, since I don't have a clue what it does.

I then closed down KMail, and tried clicking on a notification after opening KMail again. It still fires off a Konq session. So it doesn't appear to have changed anything....

Do I need a re-boot? Stop/start something for the change to take place?

Ms. Cuddles

Durand Hicks
05-14-2004, 04:30 AM
Cuddles,

Hold on a moment, let me look. Ok, I'm in the control center, and it's there under KDE components>Component chooser>email client. Hmm, I must have had my eyes crossed. Turns out that's for setting a default email client, and not the browser. However, the help in kmail has an FAQ that answers your question, it's at chapter 6, section 8. The answer is to change your file association in kcontrol, or control center for windows-centric users.

HTH,

Durand

P.S. I don't think you need to reboot, but a logout/login might do the trick instead. Remember, you're using linux, not windows! :) A reboot is necessary when you change kernels, or install a new version of xfree86 (although, I didn't, I logged out/logged in to see the effects of the change).

Cuddles
05-14-2004, 02:19 PM
Durand,

This is exactly what I did before, and it didn't work, same this time, I changed the File Association for HTML to point to Mozilla-1.5 - and now, when I click on the link in KMail attachment, it tries to fire off mozilla, only to cause an error in opening the mozilla session. Something, from what I can tell, KMail is passing a parameter to get to the link, but the link is not the "real" link, but rather, a temp link created by KMail - Mozilla is not able to open the temp link, which it shouldn't be trying to open that link, but should be the "real" link.

So, I am back where I was before... KMail will try to open the link with Miozilla, but mozilla crashes, looking for:

The file /home/cuddles/.kde/share/apps/kfmexec/tmp/18189.0.viewtopic.php cannot be found.
Please check the location and try again.

instead of what I clicked on, which was http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=47648#47648

This was why I keep a mozilla session open, and just examine the link in KMail, and then locate the topic subject within Mozilla. Because, the file association/KMail/Mozilla doesn't work for me.

Ms. Cuddles

Durand Hicks
05-14-2004, 06:56 PM
Ok, I see part of the problem,
The file /home/cuddles/.kde/share/apps/kfmexec/tmp/18189.0.viewtopic.php cannot be found. Please check the location and try again. I checked to see if I had a similar location on my system, and I only have /.kde/share/apps/kfm/ instead of kfmexec. Perhaps you need to create that folder as well as tmp first? That's probably why it dies with konqueror or mozilla when calling a hyperlink from within kmail.

FWIW, I use mozilla's email client and browser, so when I click on a link in mozilla's email, it opens in mozilla's browser. You could copy the link from kmail as a workaround, but that's a real drag, IMO.

Durand Hicks
05-14-2004, 06:56 PM
Ok, I see part of the problem,
The file /home/cuddles/.kde/share/apps/kfmexec/tmp/18189.0.viewtopic.php cannot be found. Please check the location and try again. I checked to see if I had a similar location on my system, and I only have /.kde/share/apps/kfm/ instead of kfmexec. Perhaps you need to create that folder as well as tmp first? That's probably why it dies with konqueror or mozilla when calling a hyperlink from within kmail.

FWIW, I use mozilla's email client and browser, so when I click on a link in mozilla's email, it opens in mozilla's browser. You could copy the link from kmail as a workaround, but that's a real drag, IMO.

Cuddles
05-14-2004, 07:09 PM
Durand, I think we are beating a dead horse here, I have both locations, the one that my error is screaming about, and the one that you mentioned in your post....

So, I don't know why it is yelling, considering that both locations exist...

Only thing I can think of is that when KMail "passes" the link/location to Mozilla, it is somehow, not correctly being interpreted [:?:]

Again, this is one of the reasons I thought that a "simple" addition to the email notification would get me by, 'cause I have gone this route before, and am where I was before, simply examining the link of the email notification, reading the subject of the topic, and then going to my Mozilla session and running around to find the post.

Oh well,
Ms. Cuddles

a1291762
06-22-2004, 06:15 AM
This is exactly what I did before, and it didn't work, same this time, I changed the File Association for HTML to point to Mozilla-1.5 - and now, when I click on the link in KMail attachment, it tries to fire off mozilla, only to cause an error in opening the mozilla session. Something, from what I can tell, KMail is passing a parameter to get to the link, but the link is not the "real" link, but rather, a temp link created by KMail - Mozilla is not able to open the temp link, which it shouldn't be trying to open that link, but should be the "real" link.

I just fixed this (trying to use firefox instead of konqueror).

Right-click a .html file and select "Edit File Type..."
Select the entry for mozilla (or whatever) and click "Edit..."
Click the "Execute" tab and check the Command box. It should be something like "mozilla %u".

This launches mozilla using the URL (instead of grabbing a file).

You might need to wait a few minutes for the system to update itself... it didn't work right away for me.

Link

Cuddles
06-22-2004, 01:54 PM
a1291762,

YES :!:

That did it, it works, it works. ( I knew it was something with the associations )

Ms. Cuddles