PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix installation through network

Uncle Dan
05-12-2004, 05:30 PM
I'm absolutely a newbie in Linux, so please forgive me if it's a silly question.

I just installed Knoppix on my "main" PC and laptop: it runs great, no problem.

I have 2 old PC I want to add to my lan, but unfortunately the have no CD-ROM.

Is it possible to install Knoppix throug the LAN (I think so, it'a great OS!)?

If I copy the whole CD in a folder of the main PC, can I get Knoppix installed on the old PCs?

How I configure both server and clients for that?

Thanks a lot.

PS: maybe the answer is in some HOWTO I couldn't find; is so please redirect me there :)

dbrower
05-12-2004, 06:38 PM
I am working on this as well. It seems relatively easy if you have PXE support in the NICs on the PCs, and much harder without. If you have PXE, the machines are set up to do network boots. If not, then you are into a black magic realm of "etherboot roms" and "boot floppies".

It is supposed to be straight forward if you use a knoppix machine asI
the server, and do not already have a dhcp/netboot server on your network.
If so, you setup the server by going to knoppix->network services->terminal server, and run through a confiration to tell it what ip addrs to use for terminals, and what network cards you think they will need.

If you already have a dhcp server (like a NAT router), it might be more complicated. My life is harder because I already have a netboot server in my LAN, and I need to move a presumed working configuration from the knoppix server to the other machine. I haven't made that work yet.

hope this helps,
-dB

Uncle Dan
05-13-2004, 08:42 AM
I'll tray that, but for one of them I'm quite sure I'll need a boot floppy.

Thanks a lot.