PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 3.4: How to edit isolinux.cfg after creating iso?

jz
05-12-2004, 06:26 PM
Greetings!

Before version 3.4 it was possible to extract boot.img from the ISO image for editing syslinux.cfg boot options with the knoppix-customize -tool, but now that the startup is isolinux -based in the new Knoppix version, I haven't been able to find a way to modify the iso image after building it. Are there any tools available to do this? Win32 executables would be ideal, but Linux tools will do also.

Thanks!

P.S. Anyone found a simple way to replace/remove the small penguin logo that appears after the boot image?

jz
05-13-2004, 10:16 AM
I figured this out myself... Didn't realize I could just use winiso directly to modify isolinux.cfg ;-)

Koga
05-16-2004, 03:53 PM
how can I do this in Linux ?
knoppix-customize doesn't work anymore since 3.4.

Dominique De Munck

farvardin
05-21-2004, 08:24 AM
you're not supposed to be able to modify an iso file.
So you have to mount your iso file

mount -t iso9660 -o ro,loop=/dev/loop0 image.iso /mnt/cdrom

and then copy the files from there, modify the isolinux.cfg, and create a new iso...

drh
03-10-2011, 11:59 AM
Sorry for digging up a very old thread :-)

I have a really small knoppix iso (under 100mb) which just boots up with a small set of tools and scripts to maintain backups & restores of tivo disks.
I need to modify and re-create the iso, but I spent 12 hours yesterday following tutorials on making a knoppix remaster with only limited success :-(

I thought there must be a simpler way to make the minor modifications to the exiting iso and got excited to find this thread.

I have mounted the iso using farvardin's tip but of-course its 'read only'.
I changed the command and remounted using:

mount -t iso9660 -o rw,loop=/dev/loop0 image.iso /mnt/cdrom

but any attempts to copy a new file in gives a "cannot create regular file Read-only file system".
I also tried a "mount -o remount,rw /mnt/cdrom" but to no avail.

I suspect even once I figure out how to make changes to the mounted file structure, the next problem will be the re-creating the bootable iso, because even though I managed to get partial success with the knoppix remastering scripts yesterday, the iso's I ended up with looked structured properly but wouldn't boot up in a VMWare session. The original works fine ?!?!

Any tips would be greatly appreciated, I need some sleep :-)

drh
03-10-2011, 12:04 PM

I have a really small knoppix iso (under 100mb) which just boots up with a small set of tools and scripts to maintain backups & restores of tivo disks.
I need to modify and re-create the iso, but I spent 12 hours yesterday following tutorials on making a knoppix remaster with only limited success :-(

I thought there must be a simpler way to make the minor modifications to the exiting iso and got excited to find this thread.

I have mounted the iso using farvardin's tip but of-course its 'read only'.
I changed the command and remounted using:

mount -t iso9660 -o rw,loop=/dev/loop0 image.iso /mnt/cdrom

but any attempts to copy a new file in gives a "cannot create regular file Read-only file system".
I also tried a "mount -o remount,rw /mnt/cdrom" but to no avail.

I suspect even once I figure out how to make changes to the mounted file structure, the next problem will be the re-creating the bootable iso, because even though I managed to get partial success with the knoppix remastering scripts yesterday, the iso's I ended up with looked structured properly but wouldn't boot up in a VMWare session. The original works fine ?!?!

Any tips would be greatly appreciated, I need some sleep :-)

Forester
03-12-2011, 09:12 PM

Hi drh and welcome to the Knoppix forums. I am sorry no one else has replied to your post.

What release of Knoppix is your really small iso based on ? Are just trying to tweak this iso or are you trying to create a new one using a current version of Knoppix ? If you are trying to tweak a really old Knoppix there is probably no one on the forum who would dare try to help.

I fear you are not the only one. The Knoppix wiki pages don't say which version of Knoppix they describe, which is a shame as things do change over time. I think the wiki pages describe Knoppix 5. If you are trying to use Knoppix 6 (or something really old) then the wiki pages may need careful (re)interpretation. Knoppix 6 has been around for two years now so don't expect the wiki to be updated any time soon.

Now for the bad news. :(

I sympathise but my understanding is that iso file systems are read-only and any modification, however small and reasonable, is not possible without generating a whole new file system. I think its something to do with the read-only nature of (most) CDs and DVDs

I managed to get partial success with the knoppix remastering scripts yesterday, the iso's I ended up with looked structured properly but wouldn't boot up in a VMWare session. The original works fine ?!?!

Yes. Knoppix 5 had a cheat code that went by the name of bootiso= (I think) that allowed you to boot a remastered iso for testing purposes without actually burning a CD. That's gone with Knoppix 6 and it seems folks now test their remastered iso using a virtual machine. You now know more about this than I do.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated :-)

Do your tivo servers have USB ports (even 1.1 ports) and a BIOS equivalent that will boot UFDs ?

If so, I would suggest you install to UFD and create yourself a persistent store. You should be able to get what you need done and test it for real without remastering. You could of course, then go on to remaster but it probably isn't worth the effort.

P.S. How do you install to UFD ? The wiki is out of date. Use a small UFD (aka pendrive aka USB stick aka ...) and select "Install KNOPPIX to flash disk" from the Preferences menu.

Don't hesitate to ask further questions.