PDA

View Full Version : ATI MOBILITY 9600PRO (M10)

terminator
05-12-2004, 10:38 PM
Hi

I installed knoppix 3.4 in my acer1501lmi and it works very well but my 9600pro wasn't detected and i'm using standard vesa mode.
I tried to install ati drivers 3 times without succes thus I have 2 question:

1) Why ati drivers aren't included in the knoppix hardware database?

2) Can someone provide a step by step guide (for stupid users like me) to installa ati drivers?

I'm not an experencied user and I don't know linux very well thus I hope someone can help me also because i think I'M NOT THE ONLY USER WITH PROBLEMS WITH ATI DRIVERS.

Thanks
Marco R.
Italy :?

bfc
05-14-2004, 04:14 AM
terminator: I'm in the same boat as you, i've tried to follow some debian guides for ati driver installation but it just isnt working for me. An ATI guide for knoppix would be great! I'll be watching this thread.

(3d acceleration is the only thing holding me back right now, gota have my ut2004 fix :) )

Orb360
05-14-2004, 05:20 AM
I have an ATI Radeon 9600 Pro All In Wonder. I would like the 3d Acceleration too, but all I get is the basic vesa.

kelmo
05-14-2004, 10:03 AM
There is a website for the process of installing the ATI drivers to a 'debian' install

http://xoomer.virgilio.it/flavio.stanchina/debian/fglrx-installer.html

You would need to have installed knoppix 'debian style' and have kernel-source if using the 2.6.5 kernel as default.

terminator
05-14-2004, 02:37 PM
Hi Kelmo

I already tried to follow the instructions in the link but it didn't work.
I have a question:
When you install knoppix with knoppix-install you have 3 choices:

1) debian multiuser......or somethink similar
2) knoppix installation like bootable cd
3) old debian installation

I choiced the first option.
May be it the problem? Must I compulsory choise 3th option to have ati drivers works correctly?

Thanks.
Sorry for my orrible english.....I hope that you will be able to understand my question.

Marco R.
Italy

kelmo
05-16-2004, 12:30 PM
Yeah, you must install as debian I believe terminator.

The other installation types make use of the excellent hardware autoconfiguration, which unfortunately is no good for 3d accellerated graphics.

I do not have an ATI video card but I have successfully built the modules for the knoppix 3.4 system.

terminator
05-16-2004, 01:33 PM
Hi kelmo.

I understood but...I would like to work with my new notebook and magic knoppix distribution.
I will try again and again to install ati drivers using a "knoppix" installation and, if I will have success, I will send a post in this forum.
If someone will be able to make the same in next weeks, I hope he will send a post.

thanks a lot kelmo
Hi