PDA

View Full Version : RAID)the kernel does not support underlying device inquiries

Neil Young & Crazy Ho
05-13-2004, 05:38 AM
I am installing KNOPPIX and get passed the file copy part, then on the next portion of the install I get to around 80% complete (sometime after it installs all the kernel shit or whatever) I get these errors all over the screen:

"Warning: (ATAraid) the kernel does not support underlying device inquiries."

"Underlying drive /dev/ataraid/d0 must be marked inaccessible"

When installing, Lilo attemps to asign a new Volume ID (based on these errors I would assume it's trying to do something with my RAID drives) but can't change on Windows NT,2000, or XP drives--my RAID drives are NTFS.

Ok, so it doesn't like my RAID drives or something? I boot knoppix from the cd and it reads all my drives fine, even RAID (a lot better than XP does). So what the hell is wrong with this?

I tried every different install type and I get the same. By the way, I do the knoppix-installer method, it seems easiest for the average linux beginner. I would really love to get linux going, so any help I would love you long time.

scruffyeagle
07-23-2004, 12:13 AM
I am installing KNOPPIX and get passed the file copy part, then on the next portion of the install I get to around 80% complete (sometime after it installs all the kernel shit or whatever) I get these errors all over the screen:

"Warning: (ATAraid) the kernel does not support underlying device inquiries."

"Underlying drive /dev/ataraid/d0 must be marked inaccessible"

When installing, Lilo attemps to asign a new Volume ID (based on these errors I would assume it's trying to do something with my RAID drives) but can't change on Windows NT,2000, or XP drives--my RAID drives are NTFS.

Ok, so it doesn't like my RAID drives or something? I boot knoppix from the cd and it reads all my drives fine, even RAID (a lot better than XP does). So what the hell is wrong with this?

I tried every different install type and I get the same. By the way, I do the knoppix-installer method, it seems easiest for the average linux beginner. I would really love to get linux going, so any help I would love you long time.

Yah, hey dere!

I'm a newbie, too, so I'm afraid I can't offer as much help as I'd like - but, I'm working on learning. I see that it's been over a month since you posted, w/o anybody replying - so, here's a reply. It took me 3 tries to get a HD install. The time it succeeded was after wiping the HD to start w/ a blank slate. This included partitioning using cfdisk, then changing partition type using QPARTED (to ex3) from within a CD session - then, proceeding w/ install. If you can manage it, it might be worth trying to get a 2nd computer for experimenting & learning on. (The one I'm working w/ is like that.) I do know that Debian has big problems w/ NTFS, so the presence of that file system could be a major stumbling block. Having a separate machine devoted to Linux would get around that issue. I don't know what RAID is or does - so, sorry I can't be helpful there. Good luck!

Scruffy
http://scruffyeagle.com