PDA

View Full Version : 3.3 apt-gt question

TimWhite
05-13-2004, 07:27 PM
ftp2.de..... is not responding currently. (For teh last 2 days)
I've amended the sources list to use ftp.demon.co.uk
Run apt-get update.

Fired up synaptic to see what's upgradable
See quite a lot of packages (xfree ones) with .dfsg1-1 as the version.

dfsg seems to be debian free software according to google, so are these the new packages forked from xfree following the license change?

If so, am I likely to have any issues with them? And would these have been the same on the ftp2.de site if it had been available?

Cheers

--
TimW

Durand Hicks
05-14-2004, 03:46 AM
FWIW, I just upgraded today and noticed that my xfree86 server was upgraded (downgraded) to version 4.3.0.1-dfsg-1. Prior to that I had compiled and installed version 4.3.99.1 from dri.sourceforge.net and the one from dri was way faster by orders of magnitude. The new one from debian made my mouse run slow as a slug, and at first I was bewildered by the slowness of it, not to mention it wouldn't recognize my savage dri module that enabled 3d on my laptop. If you upgrade, you might want to overwrite it with another version, from either the xfree86.org or x.org sites and go from there.

HTH,

Durand

Durand Hicks
05-14-2004, 03:48 AM
FWIW, I just upgraded today and noticed that my xfree86 server was upgraded (downgraded) to version 4.3.0.1-dfsg-1. Prior to that I had compiled and installed version 4.3.99.1 from dri.sourceforge.net and the one from dri was way faster by orders of magnitude. The new one from debian made my mouse run slow as a slug, and at first I was bewildered by the slowness of it, not to mention it wouldn't recognize my savage dri module that enabled 3d on my laptop. If you upgrade, you might want to overwrite it with another version, from either the xfree86.org or x.org sites and go from there.

HTH,

Durand

TimWhite
05-14-2004, 07:19 AM
Ta.
I was primarily concerned that it changed at the same time that I changed mirrors, the concern being that it was caused by something that I had done. Your reply lets me know that it's a global change.
It seemed to go ok (even left my version of XF86Config-4 alone!)
I've not noticed any difference over the older version, tbh, so I'm not going to upgrade it, 3D isn't something I've got to worry about on an ancient TP600 laptop.