PDA

View Full Version : CAN LINUX DAMAGE LCD????

terminator
05-13-2004, 09:15 PM
Hi

I'm using knoppix (dual boot with windows) on my new acer 1501lmi but pratically I use always linux.
After 3 weeks my lcd shown strange vertical lines (may be pixels damaged I don't know); I sent my laptop to acer assistance and they changed the lcd.
Today (after 2 weeks of work), lcd has the same problem.
Someone told me that the first version of Mandrake 9.1 damaged some cdroms (solved with new iso) thus I have a question:

In your opinion, can Linux damage hardware? In particular lcd?
This is important because I suspect that if acer will understand that I installed linux, could revoce guarantee; in fact before to send still my notebook to the assistance, I want to format my hd

Thanks
Marco R.
Italy :oops:

tekmate
05-15-2004, 12:04 PM
While nothing is impossible all I can say is I have been running Linux since 1994 have used it on many laptops starting with a 386 and I have yet to see any damage on an LCD. I did a google search and the only mention I could find was your post here so I don't think the problem is Linux.

terminator
05-16-2004, 01:23 PM
Hi

tekmate.
I agree perfectly with you. I had need of another opinion before to send my notebook to the assistance.
Hovewer is incredible that hardware vendors like acer declare:

OUR GUARANTEE IS VALID ONLY WITH THE OPERATING SYSTEM PROVIDED WITH YOUR NOTEBOOK.

I asked to the acer helpdesk (by phone) some explanations and they told me: if you install Linux acer can to refuse the assistance. The nice girl suggested to me to erase completely my he before to send notebook to the assistance.

I hope that something will change in the future.

Thanks
marco

roger_girardin
05-20-2004, 06:46 AM
thanks for the tip

this has to be some vendor fearless attempting to force us to buy laptop with windoz licences

Kumagoro
05-26-2004, 03:58 PM
It could be a common fault with that particular laptop, when some
component fails etc.

dreasi0n
06-01-2004, 05:36 PM
Hi...

I don't want to give you bad news but I think the problem of your LCD is the same than mine and my brother.

We both have acrer laptops and mine LCD was already replaced 4 times in less than a year and my brother's LCD was replaced once.

So i think the problem of the LCD's is being ACER

johnb
06-02-2004, 05:16 PM
I would like to suggest the possibility of a lighting strike killing the screen. My friend lost a few modems and a screen due to a lighting strike the other day.
johnb

Total Immortal
06-07-2004, 01:39 PM
A friend of mine lost an acer screen in a similar way for no obvious reason, but he was running WinXP.

He was running a diffrent model, bout could be a common fault.

I would aggrey that it is likley a problem with the Acer hardware.

CrashedAgain
06-15-2004, 02:49 AM
Hi

I'm using knoppix (dual boot with windows) on my new acer 1501lmi but pratically I use always linux.
After 3 weeks my lcd shown strange vertical lines (may be pixels damaged I don't know); I sent my laptop to acer assistance and they changed the lcd.
Today (after 2 weeks of work), lcd has the same problem.
Someone told me that the first version of Mandrake 9.1 damaged some cdroms (solved with new iso) thus I have a question:

In your opinion, can Linux damage hardware? In particular lcd?
This is important because I suspect that if acer will understand that I installed linux, could revoce guarantee; in fact before to send still my notebook to the assistance, I want to format my hd

Thanks
Marco R.
Italy :oops:

I guess I haven't been paying enough attention to this forum! Probably here is your solution, it's in the video setup, not damage to your monitor:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6880&highlight=