PDA

View Full Version : Xine problems...

Pydron
05-14-2004, 03:24 AM
Is anyone else having problems using xine with 3.4? I am using it in a harddrive installed 2.6 system and whenever the GUI is displayed it exits out as soon as I put the mouse cursor over it. However, it works without using the gui displayed. :? Any suggestions?

ZeroKun
05-14-2004, 04:32 AM
yes i have that problem, but i just use the keyboard hotkeys when needed.

Hippo
05-14-2004, 11:17 AM
I have the same problem, although only with kernel 2.6. With 2.4 xine works just fine.

Linuxshark
05-14-2004, 03:00 PM
I have (had) the very same issue and my workaround is easy: I installed kaffeine which is a media-player for KDE and it is based on XINE. Works perfectly now with .avi, .mpg, DVD and all.

To install it simply type "apt-get install kaffeine" in a console (provided your apt-get works and your package lists are updated).

boehmb
05-14-2004, 10:43 PM
I have the exact same problem when booting with 2.6. Also, Kscd doesn't work under 2.6, but both work perfectly when booting 2.4.

boehmb
05-14-2004, 10:43 PM
I have the exact same problem when booting with 2.6. Also, Kscd doesn't work under 2.6, but both work perfectly when booting 2.4.

Pydron
05-15-2004, 06:34 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I am glad that I am not the only one.

Trev
06-01-2004, 03:06 AM
I've manged to get Knoppix 3.4 with the 2.6 kernel to run xine. I was getting the same error that you guys are reporting when you hover over the controls. The problem is related to the tool tips that pop up when you hover over the buttons, I couldn't fix the bug in less then 30mins so I just disabled the tooltips in the source code - Instructions below.

To fix it I removed the default xine installation (apt-get remove xine-ui) and downloaded the latest sources (both xine-lib and xine-ui) from the xine cvs (instructions on their homepage). I opted for the latest source from CVS because I had trouble getting the prepacked source to compile.

I then compiled and installed xine-lib. Before I compiled xine-ui I modified tips.c (xine-ui/src/xitk/xine-toolkit/tips.c) to disable the tooltips by commenting out the code in the function void xitk_tips_set_tips(xitk_widget_t *w, char *str).

It should look something like this when you finish (the code is at the bottom of the file)

void xitk_tips_set_tips(xitk_widget_t *w, char *str) {

if((w == NULL) || (str == NULL))
return;

/*XITK_FREE(w->tips_string);
w->tips_string = strdup(str);*/

/* Special GROUP widget case */
/*if(w->type & WIDGET_GROUP) {
if((w->type & WIDGET_GROUP_MASK) & WIDGET_GROUP_INTBOX) {
xitk_widget_t *widget = xitk_intbox_get_input_widget(w);

xitk_tips_set_tips(widget, str);
}
else if((w->type & WIDGET_GROUP_MASK) & WIDGET_GROUP_DOUBLEBOX) {
xitk_widget_t *widget = xitk_doublebox_get_input_widget(w);

}
else if((w->type & WIDGET_GROUP_MASK) & WIDGET_GROUP_COMBO) {
xitk_widget_t *widget = xitk_combo_get_label_widget(w);

}
}

/* No timeout, set it to default */
/*if(!w->tips_timeout)
xitk_tips_set_timeout(w, TIPS_TIMEOUT);*/

}

After I finished the mod I just compiled and installed xine-ui as normal (make, make install etc). Hope this helps

janklaas
06-03-2004, 11:43 PM
I've manged to get Knoppix 3.4 with the 2.6 kernel to run xine. I was getting the same error that you guys are reporting when you

Thank you very much. As to judge from 15 min of browsing through my videos, your little how-to just worked perfect for me!

After I finished the mod I just compiled and installed xine-ui as normal (make, make install etc). Hope this helps

And this happened to result in a small but encouraging personal triumph for me... Being an irregular and still not very convinced Linux user, this was my very first effort to compile a program, and I succeeded (as far as I can say).

I found concese but easy to understand advice on this website:

http://www.linux-magazin.de/Artikel/ausgabe/1998/08/Einsteiger/einsteiger5.html

Alas, it is in German, but there will be similar websites in other languages as well.

Nochmals besten Dank und nette Grüße,

Klaas